Friday, March 22, 2019

Virginia - Day 21

Kings Dominion KOA
Thursday, 21 March 2019

I intended to spend a good part of the day in Richmond, and even figured out the travel route and was well on the way to being ready to go.

But it had started raining during the night, which I'd figured didn't matter too much, but it kept on raining.  Hard.  The dogs got completely soaked on our first walk.

And then the TV weather report predicted 1"-2" in the area, and announced puddles on the road were already causing accidents.  I figured I'd hold off for a while and hope for a let-up.  Which didn't come. 

For hours and hours it just poured down rain.  On our 2nd walk, Dexter was reluctant to even get out of the RV, which is unheard of.  Gracie didn't like it, but Dexter just didn't want to do it.  Neither did I, actually, but my bathroom's indoors, unlike theirs.

I finally decided I'd see Richmond tomorrow when I moved to the next campground, and when the rain is supposed to stop.  Hope on, hope ever.

The big local news of the morning was a terrible traffic accident on the interstate south of Richmond.  A bus lost a tire, a semi hit the debris which caused it to bounce off the jersey barrier, flip over, and catch on fire.  Debris from all that flew into the opposite side of the highway and caused more accidents over there.  The entire highway was shut down for hours.  And this was in the pouring rain.  It must have been a mess for the first responders to sort out.  Luckily, no one was killed and very few serious injuries were reported.  Amazing the way they're building vehicles these days.

The morning meteorologist is named Nikki-Dee, and she is as Southern as they come.  Her accent is so pronounced that even her co-workers comment on it from time to time.  And she's at least 8 months pregnant.  I don't know how on earth she can manage to stand up for so long on high heels carrying all that extra weight.  She seems good at her job.

By the middle of the afternoon, Dexter was refusing to leave the RV.  I'd waited 6 hours to take them out, hoping for the rain to let up, but it kept on pouring.  The dogs couldn't leave the RV without splashing into a small lake that was gradually surrounding us.  And Dexter hated it.  I had to drag him out to deal with bathroom needs.

The rain didn't finally let up until about 6:00.  I'm certain we got at least 2" here.

I called to make reservations at the next campground, not far from Charlottesville, and the woman there told me they'd gotten almost 2" of rain there too and she couldn't give me the less expensive campsite I wanted because it had gotten so muddy there they couldn't get heavy vehicles into it.  But she gave me a AAA discount on a more expensive site with a concrete pad that made it nearly the same price.  That gives me an idea of what to expect for the drive tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment