Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Michigan - Day 26 - Sault Ste. Marie

Aune Osborn Campground
Friday, 26 July 2019

sunrise at the riverside campground
This campground is sandwiched between 2 boat launches.  When the dogs and I were out for our second early walk (about 5:30), we found a circus going on at one of them.  The William R. Gregory Boat Launch has 3 ramps, and they were all busy at once on a continuous basis.  Apparently the pre-dawn fishing in the river is really really good.  Later in the day I drove through the parking lot and counted 57 truck+trailer combos parked there.

In contrast, the Mission Street Boat Launch on the other side had nobody in the predawn, and later I counted only 17 truck+trailer combos parked there.  I have no idea why the big difference, but there's obviously something.

Mayfly
Any sign of light - say, from my flashlight - draws enormous flying insects in mobs.  There were piles of dead ones under the lights for the restrooms.  The campground manager told me they're Mayflies, that they had just come in 4 days earlier and were a nuisance in her book.  In mine, too.  They cling to my clothes, to the dogs, to the sides of the RV, to the screens - and they really don't want to let go, for some reason.

The internet says they're related to dragonflies, as you can see.  This photo I got online shows how big they are.  Weird nuisance.

I drove back into town for a few hours today.  I was desperate for a place to dump my recycling and the campground manager gave me really good directions to the one she uses.  There's also a local grocery store on the way.

I found the recycling center easily, and so did many local residents - we were all taking turns dumping things in the various doors for glass, plastic, etc.  But I feel 10 pounds lighter, and may be - even plastic adds up after a while and I haven't found a place to dump it all month.  Every state since Virginia has been shy about recycling, though considering they're all on the interstate highway system, I don't understand why.  Hope Wisconsin will be better about it.

For the third time since I got to town, I passed a "Historic Water Tower," according to its sign, so this time I turned around and went to check it out.  Turns out it's not historic, it's old.  But the town is obviously proud of it.

It was the only shady place I'd seen all morning, so we stopped to go for a neighborhood walk and have a little lunch.  You can see a piece of the RV at the right of the sign photo.

I spent the rest of the day figuring out where we were going next and working on the blog.  Seems like all I ever do any more, but I'm still way behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment