Thursday, July 18, 2019

Michigan - Day 14

Camp Dearborn
Sunday, 14 July 2019

It got cool enough during the night for this to be a very pleasant campsite - as long as the windows were uncovered.  And after the sun came up, I discovered the tree behind the RV provided complete shade from the morning sun.  It was so cool and comfortable up here on the 20-amp ridge that I was very reluctant to move down to the main campsites in the little valley below, and left only just before the noon check-out time.

On the way out, I drove past our next site and saw it had been vacated, so the campground didn't make me wait until 1:00 to take it over.  During the afternoon, I discovered that this new site gets very little of the breeze we enjoyed up above and, in the late afternoon, the sun comes in full on the side with the biggest window.  I had to close the shade to keep it from frying us inside.  Despite the wonderfulness of full utilities, I found I might have preferred to keep the last spot.  Though when the dogs and I were out walking, I noticed someone had already moved in there.

I hooked up the water for the first time in this campground and found a lot of iron in it.  I had filled up the water tank back in Zeeland because the water there was clear and ordinary, and I'm glad now that I did.  The longer I used this water, the less I wanted to.  I didn't even want to make coffee out of it, and I hated to use it in the dogs' bowl because all that iron stains the bowl.  I finally just unhooked it and stored the hose away.

We're only about 30 miles south of Flint, and I've started wondering whether their water is like the water here, and all the iron in the water helped mask any suspicion of the contamination.  I mean, who's going to think about lead contamination when the water - here at the campground, at least - has so much iron in it, it can practically stand up on its own.

I spent much of the day working on the blog post for Holland; surprising (to me) how long it can take me to say what I want and stick in the photos I want, while making it look nice enough to want to read.  And I continued to look for campgrounds I could stay at when I go farther north.


No comments:

Post a Comment