Friday, May 31, 2019

Ohio - Day 28 - attack by a Cardinal

East Fork State Park
Tuesday, 28 May 2019
today's route
Today I'd planned only to stop by a CVS near my next campground to pick up a prescription refill I'd already called in and then check in at the new campground.  With only an hour's drive planned, I didn't rush out of the campground this morning.

Out of the 170 campsites here, I counted only 2 dozen campers, including mine.  Big change from this past weekend.  In the site right behind the couple next door to me are about half a dozen older teenagers/young adults who've been staying in tents there for the whole weekend.  Their tents are connected by a tarp that's hung about 3' - no more than 4' - off the ground, and that's where they all huddled when it was pouring rain over the past few days.

I was up quite early this morning and so were these kids.  In fact, as far as I can figure, they never went to bed last night.  The dogs and I passed them walking around the campground about 3:30 this morning, talking and laughing in normal tones of voice, not like people who realized they might disturb others who were sleeping.

When we went out for a second early walk, they were all hanging around one of the shower houses, talking and laughing and probably disturbing another batch of campers.  Then they came back to their campsite and kept on with their talking and laughing - and they were only about 10' from what was probably the sleeping end of the camper next to me.

Later this morning I saw the man next door talking to them and wished I had the nerve to ask what he'd said.  If I'd been planning to stay another night, I would have.  But we're leaving.

I saw on the internet that there were a batch of destructive tornadoes that came through the Dayton area overnight.  That's where I was planning to go in a few days, but I took a closer look at the weather forecast and now I'm not so sure.  I may call the campground back and cancel that reservation I made for the 31st.

Then before we left this morning I got a call from my doctor in Austin saying they didn't want to authorize any more refills of my blood pressure medicine because I hadn't been in their office for almost a year and a half.  I pointed out that it was only because I hadn't been in Texas for almost a year and a half, and that after all it was only blood pressure pills, and that I'd had a hard enough time finding her in the first place - it's really hard to figure out who to go to if you don't get a recommendation from someone - and didn't know how I was going to find a doctor in Indiana when I didn't live here either, and so forth and so on.  None of which changed the fact that I hadn't been in their office for a year and a half and they didn't want to reauthorize my prescription.  Picky picky.  So I scratched the stop at the CVS off today's itinerary.

After leaving the campground, I went back to Hillsboro one more time to go to the grocery store and the laundromat, since I knew where they were and liked them.  After a week in this one campground, I'm starting to feel at home here in Hillsboro.

In the laundromat I heard a woman say she was "fixin' to" do something and I started wondering just how far north I was.  But I think she may have been a military wife, because I also heard her talk about her husband's uniforms.  I don't know where a military base is around here, but her clearly southern expression would make sense if she was a military wife.

As I was driving down Route 32, I saw several signs telling me it was also called the Appalachian Highway.  Since I hadn't known I was in the Appalachian area, I was confused and looked it up.  This article is one of the results, and it chronicles a slice of Americana.  www.ohio-32-road-unintended-consequences

It was just about noon when we finally got on the road, and about 1:30 when we got into our new campsite at our new campground.

I'm going to take a wild guess that there's a Cardinal nest very near here.  A beautiful male Cardinal spent nearly 2 hours attacking every window we have.  I worried after a bit that he'd hurt his beak or get his claws caught in the screens.
sitting on the strut for the awning, planning his next attack

his next attack on the window by my bed

sitting on the ladder at the rear of the RV

I just thought this looked neat - his wings flapping

attacking the rear window with his claws

attacking with his beak












































































I couldn't figure out how to make him stop.  A couple of times I went outside and he flew into the tree at the campsite opposite mine and stared at me.  But when I went back inside, he immediately came back for another round.

I thought he must be seeing his reflection in the window and that's what he was attacking, but he kept on whether I pulled the shades down or left them up.  It quickly got too warm to leave the windows open, so I closed them and turned on the AC, and the little guy kept on attacking.

He slacked off gradually as the afternoon wore on, but I felt sorry for him and didn't know what I could do to help.


No comments:

Post a Comment