Sunday, May 12, 2019

Ohio - Day 10 - western Toledo

Bluegrass Campground
Friday, 10 May 2019
today's route
The reason I made that mad dash across the state yesterday was that I'd made a doctor appointment for this morning and wanted to keep it.  And I did.

But first we had very heavy rain overnight - it started suddenly about 11:00 and if I hadn't still been awake, it'd've woken me up it was so loud.  And it seemed to rain for hours.  I found the campground muddy this morning and wore my rubber boots to walk the dogs, but the roads were still dry enough for me to get out of my campsite.

Driving toward town I noticed what seemed like a strong Polish influence in this area and passed Sadowski's Produce and Pastorek's Autos.

The wind gusts were still so strong and squirrely I had to slow way down on the highway and ignore the 60 mph speed limit everybody else was exceeding.  It was better on the city streets.

Several places I've noticed a business call the Fifth Third Bank.  It's a big concern - I've seen it all over - but I'm not sure I'd trust my money to the fifth shot at the third bank.

Passing from Sylvania into Toledo, I passed a sign saying "You'll do better in Toledo."  It really did say that.  What an odd thing to say.

I passed a business called Knucklehead Motor Sports.  Somebody's got a sense of humor.

My doctor appointment was with a gastroenterologist I'd found online.  It's been nearly 2 years since I've seen the one I went to in Austin and I was getting nervous.  I was diagnosed some years ago with a condition called Barrett's Esophagus, a pre-cancerous condition that I've been taking acid reflux medicine for.  The doctors have told me in the past it's under control but to keep an eye on it.

In the last few months I've been coughing so much I'd sometimes make my throat feel raw and that's something my Austin doctor didn't know about.  And all this is why I ended up in Toledo looking for a doctor instead of sightseeing.

He'd gotten my records from Austin ahead of time and had studied them before he came in to talk to me, which impressed me.  I explained the situation and he decided, since it'd been 2 years since my last endoscopy, it was probably time to get another, just to be sure everything's okay.  Fine with me.  It'll take time out of my travel plans but much better than an illness taking much more time out of them.  We scheduled the procedure for Monday afternoon, and I agreed to park the RV in his parking lot overnight afterward to wait out the aftereffects of the anaesthesia.

After that I found a grocery store and a CVS, and then the critters and I went back to spend the weekend at the campground.


No comments:

Post a Comment