Wednesday, April 3, 2019

West Virginia - Day 3

Fox Fire KOA
Wednesday, 3 April 2019

Chilly morning but beautifully sunny afternoon.

I spent hours this morning and got through only a few of the materials I was given at the Visitor Center.  There's a lot to see in West Virginia.

I've noticed that each time I start in a new state, it takes me days to orient myself because I start out not having any idea which part of the state any given town is in.  As the month goes on, I'll start to get the lay of the land, for the most part, but in the beginning I have to look up everything, which takes time.

But that's okay.  I'm here to learn about West Virginia, and that includes knowing where Morgantown and Wheeling and Charleston - for instance - are.

Huntington, just a short distance west of here, actually sits at the confluence of the Ohio and Big Sandy Rivers.  The Ohio River separates WV from Ohio, and also separates Ohio from Kentucky.  The Big Sandy River separates WV from Kentucky.  This area is known locally as the Tri-State Area.  (I have TV reception again, so I know these things.)  Local news and weather talk about all 3 states and their state governments, which is interesting to listen to.

The forecast is for beautiful weather tomorrow but rain on Friday, so I'm planning to go sight-seeing tomorrow and then write about it on Friday, as well as plan where we're going next.


No comments:

Post a Comment