Saturday, April 20, 2019

West Virginia - Day 13


Flatwoods KOA
Saturday, 13 April 2019

Not many campers in the whole campground, and nobody else at all in my section.

Today is my brother David’s birthday, so in his honor I’m having meat & potatoes for dinner and watching “Ocean’s 11.”  I don’t actually know if he’s ever seen this movie, but it seems like something he’d enjoy.  Good actors, good dialog, good plot line – what’s not to like.

Today our weather was all over the place – chilly, then warm, sunny, then rainy.

It made me decide to write down the weather that’s currently being forecast for the places I’ll be going over the next few days, since I doubt if I’ll get either a wifi signal or a TV station signal.  And that’s when I discovered I’ll be running into snow(!) during a part of my plan when I’ll be smack in the middle of the forest and the mountains – and therefore the back roads that are so interesting to drive even without snow.  But the temperature isn’t forecast to go below freezing so I’m hoping the snow won’t stick, or won’t accumulate.  And I’ll just take things slow and play by ear.  I guess maybe West Virginia’s getting remnants of the storm that smashed the midwest this last week.

I saw a bird climbing a lightpole this morning and think it must have been a woodpecker, though I don’t know what food he’d get out of that wood, that I assume has been treated or creosoted or something.  The light was dim because rain clouds were moving in, but from its size I’m guessing it was a Hairy Woodpecker.

And when I was out walking the dogs about 9:00 or so I saw a bird that I was sure was a thrasher from its shape and something about the way it moved.  When I could look it up, I found the Brown Thrasher shows up here during breeding season, and I really think that’s what I saw.  Related to Mockingbirds, as you can see.
Brown Thrasher
The rules at this KOA say absolutely nobody gets to stay longer than 15 days, but I’m certain several of these folks have been here much longer.  One of the campers is completely skirted in insulation, and several have elaborate piping for their sewer connections, so I’m betting they’ve been here over the winter.  Quite a few of them, and some in the more transient sections, have odd-looking 4-wheelers, like this Polaris Ranger.  Not exactly golf carts but similar.  I’ve only seen one person tow their 4-wheeler out in the morning so don’t know why so many would have them.  They’re clearly not here for a specific event.


There’s a dogwood along one of the roads here in the campground that’s got blooms that are just starting to open.  I’m sure the countryside will be full of them in a week or so.

I bought a t-shirt the other day from a company called Laid-Back Inc.  On the tag, they quote Proverbs 14:30 as “A relaxed attitude lengthens a man’s life.”  Somehow that didn’t sound very biblical so I looked it up.

The King James Version says, “A sound heart is the life of the flesh: but envy the rottenness of the bones.”  The New Living Translation goes, “A peaceful heart leads to a healthy body; jealousy is like cancer in the bones.”

Aside from the fact that envy and jealousy aren’t the same thing, those translations seem to agree with each other.  But I like Laid-Back’s version better.

When I stopped at that distillery the other day, they thought I was planning to stay overnight at their place, though it doesn’t pretend to be a campground.  They told me about Harvest Hosts, a program that hooks self-contained Rvers with wineries and farms and similar places.  If you’re interested in checking this out, their website is www.HarvestHosts.com.  Or follow this link.  https://harvesthosts.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment