Saturday, April 13, 2019

West Virginia - Day 10 - more gorge

Little Beaver State Park
Wednesday, 10 April 2019

This morning I drove back into Beckley to get propane, and stopped on the way at the Grand View Visitor Center at another point along the New River Gorge.

Pretty respectable gorge, don't you think?  The bridge I visited yesterday is out of sight in the distance.

There was a sign at the visitor center that talked a bit about the coal mining in the gorge.

Lots of birds were singing and I heard a very loud woodpecker.  The park ranger said it was probably a Pileated Woodpecker, because they're so big they can produce such a loud sound when they're pounding away.  I asked if he knew why woodpeckers don't seem to suffer the human problem of brain trauma from football and things, and he said woodpecker brains are surrounded by a fluid that helps mitigate that.  Good old evolution at work.

The campground I'm in is the state's newest and, in some ways, is very nice.  Behind this waterfall is a very nice reservoir where people go boating and swimming and so forth.  The campsites are about a half mile away from this.

My problem here is that I can't get much of a wifi signal or a cell phone signal or a TV signal - just cut off from the world.  Which is fine for folks wanting to get away from it all, but not for full-timers like me.  But otherwise it's nice, and I'll be leaving tomorrow anyway.

And about that entrance road that people complained about being scary.  I found out why today.  It's got 3 separate sections of steep downhill s-curves.  No problem for those of us who've driven Route 3, but probably a shock for those who stick to interstates.  Interesting that I didn't even notice the road when I drove in yesterday.


No comments:

Post a Comment