Monday, July 3, 2023

North Carolina - Day 5 - in Boone campground

Boone KOA, Boone
Monday, 3 July 2023

After we settled in yesterday afternoon, I took Dexter to the dog park - a small fenced-in area behind the dumpsters.  But another dog came and was friendly with Dext and I talked a bit with the owner.  Then a man brought another dog but wouldn't let it come in to meet Dext and the 2nd dog.  I could see his dog wanted to meet them, and said so, but the man refused.  And instead of joining us or going for a walk, which are the choices all other dog owners make, this guy plunked down on a nearby seat with his dog and just waited.

After a bit, the 2nd dog's owner decided to let them have the dog park.  Of course, being stubborn plus seeing that man as being passive-aggressive in a major way, I didn't want to leave, but without dog #2 Dext lost interest, so we went back to the RV.  The man then let his dog into the dog park - and I could see from our campsite that they were there for only a few minutes before leaving, which really peeved me.  Standard passive-aggressive attitude: I'd rather ruin your fun with a totally unreasonable position than join in and make everyone happy.  Oh well.  But I sure felt sorry for that man's poor dog.

Later that evening we got sudden wind, sudden rain and lots of thunder.  So much thunder that it scared all the critters and Dext wouldn't go to his bed.  So I pulled a bed for him up by the bathroom near mine.  I don't know how long he stayed there - he was back in his usual place by morning - but he'd vomited a little, presumably from being upset.  Poor guy.

Today, Monday, was the official full moon, and the kittens - especially Jimmy - were going nuts.  So of course I was going nuts too.  Bouncing off the walls (really) and leaping from one level of furniture to another at high speed.  Ignoring any living being they might be landing on or using for a launch pad.

And the wifi here was really spotty.  My computer could pick up 3 signals labeled KOA Guest, and each of them would kick me off after a few minutes and then say I can't connect or say I'm connected but there's no internet.  It was just hit or miss (mostly miss) all day long.

It was so unreliable that I finally started writing on the word processing program.  I did drafts of posts for June 1st to Murphy and for June 12th when I went to Asheville and for the month of June that I spent in the Murphy campground.  It ended up being productive, but nobody could see the results because I couldn't post.

All day the weather looked ominous and the forecast said strong winds likely, possible hail, rain, thunder - so I hooked everything up to the indoor surge protector for double protection.  And of course by 5:30 we had bright sunshine.  The only bad weather was when I took Dext back to the dog park and we got caught in some heavy rain.  So much for the forecast.

This campground is unusually hilly - even more than others I've stayed in that I thought were hilly.  Here, each parallel row of campsites is laid out to run down the hill and some are much steeper than others.  One was so precipitous that I'd guess at least a 6% slope to it - and all the RVs in that row (including some big Class As) have to drive down that slope to get out of their campsites.  Our row was sloped but to a much more manageable degree than those others.

A fenced-in field near some campsites occasionally had goats in it.  Or maybe they were always there but spent their time in a different area.  The campground office sold little cups of feed, and I saw several small children take those cups over to the fence, and all the goats and goat kids came rushing over to get fed.  They were all cute - the children and the young goats.

I saw 2 small white dogs that looked like they were the same breed - maybe Maltese? - they met while they were both out on walks.  The first dog was quivering with excitement and trying hard to sniff the other, but dog #2 was cautious and backed up against mom's legs - and then when dog #1 walked away, dog #2 tried to run after it.  I had time to watch this little play because Dext was busy sniffing something nearby.

I cooked a whole chicken in the slow cooker and, with the draft posts and Dexter's various walks, felt like I'd gotten something accomplished today.


No comments:

Post a Comment