Monday, July 17, 2023

North Carolina - Day 16 - in Wilmington campground

Wilmington KOA, Wilmington
Monday, 17 July 2023

We spent today resting in the campground.  We've spent the last 4 days traveling nonstop, and I've finally learned (after only 5½ years) that my brain and my body reach a saturation point where it all starts to be a blur.  So today was an attempt to reset the blur.

Actually, it was a fairly productive day.  I figured out where I wanted to go for the next couple of days and what I could see in the available time and worked out driving directions.  I wanted to do errands in Wilmington before leaving town tomorrow and discovered we had some long driving distances and driving times ahead, so I'd have to skip Fayetteville.  I'd wanted to at least take a look at this town I'd heard so much about, but that's going to have to wait for another trip.  And while I was making plans, I also planned errands for when we get to Asheville - get prescriptions filled and so forth.

I'm discovering there aren't many interstates in North Carolina and there is quite a bit of mountainous land.  These bits of reality mean that even the US highways take time to drive on, let alone the local roads.  Plus, it turns out that North Carolina is larger than I'd expected - likely because its land is spread out sideways, rather than being compact like, say, Arkansas, which is nearly the same number of square miles.

And I called my wonderful credit union in Washington state to move a CD into one with a better interest rate.  I learned that the rising interest rates don't bode well for home ownership, but they're pretty good for savings accounts.  You win some, you lose some.

A fly got inside the RV and the kittens spent half the day trying to catch it.  They didn't.  They have a very strong hunter instinct and no apparent skill at it at all.  But it's fairly entertaining to watch, even though I had to kill the fly in the end.

Dext got the last of the real chicken and rice for breakfast - thank goodness that's done - and I started him back on Purina ProPlan.  (The chicken and rice flavor, of course.)  He seems to be well now, but the next few days on the store-bought food will show for sure.

Today was extremely hot and humid (by North Carolina standards).  The high was only in the low 90s, but with the humidity it was uncomfortable for any length of time doing much of anything - like dog walking.  Even though I was completely out of clean clothes, I decided not to try carrying my laundry all the way over to the laundry room (and all the way back again) but instead to wait until we were ready to leave tomorrow and drive over there and park while I did chores.  The weather was just too uncomfortable to push it when there was an alternative.

Yesterday I'd thought at first my back pains from that fall had gone, but after driving for a while I discovered they weren't ready to be forgotten.  Still, even though I'm pretty sore, I'm glad to report that improvement is happening.  Let's hear it for our bodies' ability to heal themselves!


No comments:

Post a Comment