Monday, April 10, 2023

Georgia - Day 18 - in the Savannah campground

Savannah South KOA, Richmond Hill
Monday, 10 April 2023

The focus of this campground is a nice-sized lake, and the campground prides itself on several resident pairs of swans.  At least, I guess they're resident.  They're here right now, anyway.  When Dext and I walked along the lake in that direction, I saw 4 pairs.  They make a nice (and quiet) change from the Canada geese also resident.

On one walk, we went past an area where maybe a dozen geese and a couple of swans were hanging out on the land.  Normally, as my dog and I approach Canada geese, they slither into the water as fast as snakes.  But both the geese and I noticed that the swans didn't seem at all bothered by us - they didn't twitch a feather.  So though a few geese stood up (ready to get moving) most stayed sitting on the ground like the swans.  Of course I tried to steer the 2 of us as far from them as the road allowed.  But I thought it was an interesting dynamic, that the swans were so calming to the geese.

I met a couple from Germany who were traveling with their very young baby in a rented RV.  They said they'd come to the US at New York, rented the RV in New Jersey, and were on their way down to the east coast of Florida.  They'd wanted to go to the west coast of Florida as well but thought they might be running out of time.  I wish I'd had more time to talk to them, to at least ask why they hadn't flow straight to Miami or Tampa.  But it might have been something as simple as RV rental location availability.

One RV here is labeled "Dr. Tusk.com - Help Save the Elephants" in large letters with a nice drawing of elephants.  I looked it up and learned this company sells men's personal care products made of hemp and caffeine, and that 5% of their profits go to elephant charities.  Odd marketing ploy.

Today I (finally) finished the post for our time in Cordele and can move on to writing about travels in Georgia.

And thank goodness the full moon phase has passed, because the kittens are noticeably calmer now.  "Calmer" being a relative term, of course.  I know the full moon is always on a specific date and time, but in real life the moon looks full for several days on either side of that date.  I haven't noticed them being unusually manic with other full moon cycles so don't know if it was an aberration this month or a new trait.  Or maybe they've just started to slow down enough for me to see they were always so nuts before, that a full moon didn't make them seem any different.  Anyway, they've settled down a little bit, thank goodness.  It's been a long several days with them.


No comments:

Post a Comment