Thursday, February 16, 2023

Florida - Day 31 - in Tomoka park campground

Tomoka State Park, Ormond Beach
Thursday, 16 February 2023

On our first walk this morning, Dext found 2 critters, each at a different campsite.  I could almost but not quite see one of them in the light from my flashlight and thought it was fairly tall.

We walked over to the ranger station later and asked what wildlife they have here.  He said they do have bobcats in the park, but it was most likely a raccoon because bobcats tend to avoid occupied campsites.  It may have seemed tall to me if the raccoon was standing on the bench at a picnic table.  Lots of people are dumb enough (my opinion) to leave food out overnight.  People don't seem to realize that even leaving it in boxes or cans - if they're not stored away somewhere animal-proof - might as well be leaving it sitting out on the table.

It was really warm today - nearly 80° - a big change from the highs in the 50s and 60s we've been having this past week.  Nonetheless, none of this seems like real winter weather.  I understand the attraction for folks who've come down here after months of shoveling snow in Ohio or somewhere, but I'd prefer to live somewhere where it's still cold in February.

Our campsite didn't get any more comfortable after staying here for a night.  I'd spent a lot of time yesterday trying to find any way to locate the RV that would be level, so I knew there was no point in trying again today.  But I do get tired of living life at an angle.  Sometimes I even have trouble keeping my balance when I'm trying to navigate a floor with 2 small rapidly moving bodies, the toys and various equipment the 4 critters need (water bowl, for instance) all while on a slope.  It sometimes makes me remember with longing a house where I didn't have to hold the frig door open with my shoulder to keep it from slamming shut while I tried to take out/put in more than one thing out at a time.

But the good thing about this campground is that it's big enough that Dext and I had plenty of room to walk.  So we did.


No comments:

Post a Comment