Thursday, February 9, 2023

Florida - Day 24 - in the St. Andrews campground

St. Andrews State Park, Panama City
Thursday, 9 February 2023

Yesterday afternoon, I climbed up into the upper bunk (which used to be Lily's domain until it was invaded by the Marauders) to open the skylight and the small window beside the pillow where Lily usually sleeps.  As I climbed down, I heard a strange sound from my right knee - a pop or a crack.  And my knee felt extremely sore and stayed that way for the rest of the day.

I'm sorry to report that that soreness has continued into today and made it hard for me to do a lot of things.  I often feel like I don't get much exercise in this RV life, but there are several levels in the RV, including the steps I have to climb to get in or out of the RV, which I have to do to walk Dexter several times a day.  And even when I stand on the stool, my mattress is nearly waist-high so I have to use my knees to get into bed.  I'm hoping that if I rest it as much as possible it'll get better on its own.

When Dext and I were out for our first walk of the day, Dext spotted a turtle, which I wouldn't have seen at all without him.  The turtle was right by the side of the road, just leaving the grass to walk across the road.  As usual, Dext stuck his nose right down at the turtle, who - no surprise - pulled part way back into its shell.  I managed to get Dext to keep on walking, and I flagged down an oncoming pickup to warn him the turtle was crossing the road, and he thanked me and said he'd watch out for it.  I looked up Florida turtles and this photo looked exactly like what we saw.

Florida Box Turtle

Speaking of wildlife, there are lots of deer at this park, and they're somewhat tame.  One of the park volunteers told me he thought the deer knew they were safe here.

Part of a group that wandered over to the lake by my campsite.

These 2 wandered ahead of the rest.

These were taken through the screen door,
so they're not as clear as I'd hoped.

And the Mighty Hunters noticed them.
I'd hoped the deer would show up in this photo, but I guess they were just out of shot.
This campground is so close to a town, that I got good reception on my hotspot.  That let me spend all day finishing reservations for the rest of February and the first few nights in Georgia.  Most of the places I'm staying are state parks that aren't as close to habitations as this one, so I wrote down driving directions to each of them also while I still had a signal.

It started raining at just about when Dext and I took our last walk today and kept on during the night.  Fortunately, this campground was set up for wet conditions, so we were in good shape.


No comments:

Post a Comment