Monday, September 12, 2022

Minnesota - Days 9 - 12 - in the Minneapolis campground

Minneapolis Northwest KOA, Maple Grove
Friday, 9 through Monday, 12 September 2022

When the KOA folks designed this campground, they planned for my particular campsite to be a head-in site, and I'd back out when I left the campground.  The utility hookups were located with that in mind.  But I don't usually like that kind of site for several reasons, not the least of which is that I can back into a campsite with not much problem, but when I back out I'm acutely aware of my almost total lack of field-of-view and the distinct possibility that someone else could be driving right where I'm trying to back without me seeing them.  I hate that.  

But I liked the location otherwise and decided to back into the site and stretch my electric cord, which is pretty long anyway (and I have an extra 25' cord if needed).  That gave Dext a good view of the main part of the campground, which he enjoys watching for a good part of the day, and a view of any dogs passing our campsite. 

I also decided to plug in my water hose since we'd be here for several days and my water tank was registering E.  My hose wasn't long enough (thanks to my using the site backwards) for me to fill the water tank, but it was long enough to reach the cabin inlet.

Hard to believe but I still had almost half of my posts from Montana to finish.  And I did.  All of them from August 17th through the entire month.  Eleven posts.  I'd really like to figure out a better way of doing this, but with internet connectivity so iffy in so many parts of this area of the country, I don't know what a better way would be.

And it's not like this was an otherwise uneventful weekend.

For instance, the RV's cabin flooded.  There's something wrong with the cutoff valve on my toilet - but only when I'm hooked up to the campground's water supply.  When I use water from my own tank, this never happens.  But when I'm hooked up to a hose, I have to be very careful that the toilet stops filling with water after I've flushed it.  It won't do it on its own - I have to tug on the flush lever until water stops flowing.  I'm afraid one day I'll actually break it off and really don't want to think about the results of that.

So apparently, one time I wasn't as careful as I thought I was.  Since I had the water hose plugged directly into the cabin lines, water continued to flow into the toilet which, of course, overflowed.  By the time I finally noticed it, the bathroom floor was completely underwater, and water was flowing down past my bedroom level to the regular cabin level.  And I found out a little later it had flowed under my bed into the basement storage area.  It was a mess.

If I'd been in a regular house, I'd've used towels to soak up the water and squeezed them out into the bathtub.  But here . . . I used up an entire roll of paper towels.  You'd be amazed at how much water those good old Bounty paper towels can soak up even when they're under the water level on the floor.  Well, I was amazed.

So I got that done, and my cabin floor was a lot cleaner than it had been.  But I obviously couldn't keep the hose plugged in, and my water tank level was still sitting on E.  All this happened on my last full day in the campground (and thank goodness it wasn't raining that day), so I decided to conserve water as much as I could and wait until my next campground to fill the water tank.  No point in paying for the gasoline to cart around a filled water tank if I didn't need to.

On Friday we actually had rain off and on all day - sometimes fairly heavy.  Before I'd even opened the window shades in the morning, there was so much lightning going on behind the clouds that I thought the campground had some sort of flashing light somewhere.  So when Dext and I went out for our first walk, I was nervous about walking for very long.  It helped to realize that the lightning was a long way away when I never heard any thunder.  But only a few hours later, when we went out a second time, there was no lightning but lots of thunder and we got rained on while we were out.  Actual rain, not just a shower.

Dext didn't seem too bothered by the thunder, but just to be sure, I gave him a CBD treat when we got back in.  Apparently they taste really great; I'm sure they aren't making him high because that's the whole point of CBD products is that they lack THC.

I was surprised to find the campground pretty full this weekend.  Yes, it's a weekend, but Labor Day was just last weekend and I expected everybody would have gotten it out of their system.  I finally decided maybe some of them had taken the whole week off and were now on their way home.  (Maybe I have too much time to come up with reasons for the behavior of strangers.)  Actually, I saw several different groups of people who were clearly meeting here for various types of reunions although, again, I'd've expected them to do that over the long Labor Day weekend.

Once when we were out walking in the campground, Dext stopped and stared at some bushes, and it took me at least a full minute - maybe longer - to see the black cat arched in a defensive posture in the depths of those bushes.  He's got a good eye.

A young couple were camping not far from us in a trailer, and when we passed their campsite on a walk, I noticed the woman using an unusual skillet over the fire.  She said it's a Lodge Cook-It-All, and it's too big for her to use on her stove at home so she reserves it for their camping trips.  She was cooking 2 chicken breasts and a bunch of fresh green beans in it when I noticed them.  Here's the link, if you're curious.   https://www.lodgecastiron.com/cast-iron-cook-it-all

Once all the rain stopped, we got some nice sun and warm temperatures (mid-70s) most days.  Very pleasant.

In general, this was a nice place to stay and I was a little sorry to be leaving.


No comments:

Post a Comment