Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Oregon - Day 31 - in the McIver state campground

Milo McIver State Park, Estacada
Tuesday, 31 May 2022

This was a small campground - my site #43 was the next to last of the sites on the only loop that had hookups, though there were other more isolated areas for tenters.  It had quite obviously rained a lot here before we came, and there was mud all over the place.  But our site was relatively dry and relatively level, so I counted us lucky.  Because the loop was so small, poor Dexter was bored because very few people/dogs went by us and there wasn't much for him to look at.

I would have been perfectly happy, except I had an internet connection far slower than dial-up used to be.  It was excruciating.

I couldn't make an appointment to get a 2nd Covid booster, I couldn't make a camping reservation beyond the one I already had for our first night in Washington, I couldn't look up any vets (Gracie needs a rabies shot) or groomers (the dogs need baths), I couldn't add any photos to my draft blog posts - let alone publish the posts.  Actually, I could do all those things, but the speed was much slower than a sloth (ever watched one of those move?).  Because Gracie is afraid of loud noises and angry people, I'm no longer able to yell when I'm frustrated.  So I had to just sit there and seethe, and I finally gave up at 3:40.  Just quit.

My friend Paula called and we talked so long my phone was down to only 2% power left, so I had to spend time waiting for it to re-charge before I could call to make appointments once I'd gotten phone numbers.  I'd intended to call her for days, because I was worried about how that enormous wildfire in New Mexico was affecting them.  Paula said it was close enough that the whole neighborhood was trying to figure out an evacuation plan.  Their problem is that there's only one road into the area (so only one road out), leaving them vulnerable depending on the direction the fire takes.  It was really good to talk with her and to hear that she and Bruce are doing well.

We leave tomorrow for our next state.


No comments:

Post a Comment