Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Texas - Day 141 - in Possum Kingdom

Possum Kingdom State Park, Caddo
Wednesday, 24 March 2021

Like Inks Lake, Possum Kingdom is a wildly popular area.  This one is within an hour or 2 of almost any part of the DFW area and has an attractive and boat-able lake, which may explain the popularity.

I was surprised to see that it's not a large park - only 115 campsites and a half dozen cabins, spread out along part of the lake.  Our campsite was on the water, for a change - I'd chosen it not for the water access, though, but because we could get to the boat launch parking area either by road or along the lake.  That meant I'd have an easier time walking the dogs even if the surrounding campsites were full.  Which they weren't.

In fact there were surprisingly few people here.  Likely because of it being the unpopular middle of the week, but also because it's so soon after Spring Break and most people probably already took their vacation time.

The campground is filled with lots of hills, lots of deer, lots of cedar and lots of wonderful cedar odor.  There were probably other critters as well, based on the dogs' behavior on our early morning walks (too dark for me to see but they still have use of their noses).

I was surprised to find that I had both phone and internet access, and I got a couple of blog posts written today.

The wind was really blowing, and the sun was intermittent, so it was chillier than I'd hoped.  Still it was nice to have the fresh air and lack of dog competition.

I enjoyed our time there.


No comments:

Post a Comment