Thursday, March 4, 2021

Texas - Day 100 - Village Creek

Village Creek State Park, Lumberton
Thursday, 11 February 2021

The state park, by the way, was named for an actual body of water called Village Creek.  There's also a Village Slough, that winds its way through the park.  I haven't been able to figure out where the name came from and am guessing it's a very old name from back before Lumberton was anything more than just a little village.  The creek is one of the few free-flowing streams in Texas.

I knew it meant something when I noticed at least a half dozen roofing companies had ads on Beaumont's CBS morning news program.  The Beaumont area not only spent 2020 dealing with those hurricanes that hit the Port Arthur area a little farther south, but they've also had several severe wind events this year, with the most recent just before Christmas.  That one overturned at least 2 RVs in an RV park, which means it was really blowing.

There's also a regular feature on this station's programming: a 1-minute daily message from a local Catholic bishop.  When I first saw these, I was somewhat taken aback.  But I've listened to what he has to say and think he's usually got a reasonable, thoughtful point of view.

On the door of the park office is a little sign reminding people to keep their distance.  It shows outlines of 2 people, and in between them is the outline of a deer.  The caption reads, "6' = White-tailed deer."  Which is a pretty clear mental image.

The weather hasn't been so great, so I haven't been wanting to take the dogs out as much as I'd intended.  But once I get enough gear on me to keep warm and dry, it's not so bad, and the dogs really enjoy it.  I wish we could stay longer in this campground.

I've been starting to worry about the road conditions coming up because of that winter storm in the offing.  When I made my campground reservations, I thought the storm would be hitting the DFW area on Sunday, but I see from the TV weather reports that it's actually expected on Saturday night.  Not wanting to take a chance either of being stuck in far east Texas and not able to keep my (paid) reservation at Cedar Hill, or of having to drive through possible ice and snow to get over there, I decided to spend only 1 night instead of 2 at Martin Creek Lake.  It's a very inexpensive state park, so it doesn't seem like much of a sacrifice to have paid for a night I won't use.

I've been spending some time on drivetexas.org which shows road conditions around the state.  But I had a feeling I wouldn't be able to get an internet signal at Martin Creek Lake, so I made arrangements with David to call him before I left on Saturday to get an updated road report.  It's lucky that he gets up almost as early as I do, even as a retired person.


No comments:

Post a Comment