Friday, March 20, 2020

Arkansas - Day 14

Queen Wilhelmina State Park
Saturday, 14 March 2020

Considering how bad the weather was, I was glad I'd made a reservation for the whole weekend.  It was bad enough sitting up here, but I figure it'd've been even worse trying to drive in it.

The high wind continued through the night, and I noticed a pop-up camper that was a few spaces away from me had gone by the time I took the dogs out at sunrise today.  And they'd paid through tomorrow.  Just too much for them, I guess.  That must have been a mess for them to put the pop-up back into travel mode in all that wind and rain.  Pop-ups are for good weather only, in my opinion.

In between our 2 sites, I saw a small tent that had come in last night after I last walked the dogs, but they too left this morning.  That was 2 women and a 10-year-old girl, and I'm amazed they made it through the night.

It rained most of the day - needle rain in the morning.  And there was plenty of thunder in the afternoon, along with heavy rain.  It was seriously hard to walk the dogs at any point during the day.

I was really glad I'd bothered to fill up with propane down in Prescott because we used up a lot this weekend.  Those high winds just sucked the heat out of the RV, and the temperature wasn't exactly warm anyway.  I kept hearing a grunting and a moaning under the RV and hope it was just the wind and not an animal.

I got a glimpse of a view last night just before we went to bed - the clouds lifted enough for me to see rounded hills not too far away.  But all today there was almost no visibility at all.  I'm sure glad I hadn't planned on enjoying the view all weekend, because I didn't get one.

I heard somewhere that Alaska is going to continue to run the Iditarod Sled Race, despite the coronavirus.  The lead state health official pointed out that the racers were all really good at social distancing on this 975-mile race.  But they canceled the festivities usually held at the end of the race and asked people not to come to the finish line.  Major concessions in a state that needs all the festivities it can get.  Cabin fever is no joke in Alaska.


No comments:

Post a Comment