Thursday, November 14, 2019

Tennessee - Days 12 & 13

Clinton KOA
Tuesday, 12th and Wednesday, 13th November 2019

We did indeed get the promised cold weather and snow.  It rained most of Monday night, and that turned to hard driving sleet very early on Tuesday morning.  Then it got quiet and I figured it had finally started to snow.  (I didn't sleep soundly that night, as you can tell.)  Sure enough I got up to about a third of an inch of snow.  But because of the sleet, I was pretty sure the roads would likely be icy for some time.

In fact, the forecast was for the temp to not go more than a degree or two above freezing all day - and I'm pretty sure that's what happened.  Several times when I checked weather.com it said the wind chill was keeping the apparent temp down in the 20s all day.

So I stayed put (except for numerous dog walks - they both love snow) and made a huge pot of Brunswick Stew.  I did some work on the blog but also took some time off and read a lot of The Firm.  After all, it's mostly set in Memphis, which is where I'm going in a few days, so I counted it travel research.


The icicles hanging from the front of the cab aren't as long in this photo as they got by Wednesday morning - a couple of them grew longer than a foot.

But it was sunny and up to the low 40s Wednesday.  About 1:00 PM we suddenly heard a loud flummpp! and all the accumulated snow and ice from the roof slid down in a heap on the engine.  Startled us all.

It's supposed to get down in the 20s tonight, but I'm not nearly as worried about driving on the roads tomorrow because it looks like all the ice is getting melted today.  Unless there's another storm tonight - not predicted - then driving should be fine tomorrow.

I've been planning to go from here down to Chattanooga, but I started finding trouble getting a reasonably-priced place to stay in that area over the weekend.  I finally switched directions and decided to head for Nashville for a few days.  For some reason I had better luck with finding camping spots over there.

Just as well we're leaving - the campground has picked up several campers with large dogs, some of whom (the campers) make no effort at all to keep our dogs separated.  This campground is big enough that we've been able to dodge dogs before this, but with these new ones specifically not recognizing the need to dodge, it's no longer big enough. 

And it's not just my dogs that are a problem - one time I'd managed to hide us behind a tree but one of those other dogs started barking at us anyway and sent Dext into a tailspin.  It was all I could do to hold him.  Idiot dog owner (the other guy).  I've learned defenses that work with friendly or aloof dogs, but I can't do anything except dodge more aggressive dogs, and that idiot wasn't letting me dodge.  Of course, if that's my only complaint in life, I'm a very lucky person.


No comments:

Post a Comment