Thursday, November 7, 2019

Tennessee - Day 6

Newport KOA
Wednesday, 6 November 2019

I spent the day in the campground but didn't get as much done as I'd hoped, even though I wasn't as lazy as Lily (see below).


It took a lot of time to locate a campground for tomorrow night and then to convince Google to give me the sort of route I wanted.  Google adores interstates and tiny side roads, apparently in the belief that they're faster.  But when I ask for changes, it rarely ends up taking more than a few extra minutes, if any, and is often a shorter distance.  But I finally got everything set up for tomorrow.  I hope.

What didn't get done is the laundry, but that's why God made laundromats, so this isn't my last chance.

We were lucky to have beautiful sunshine all day - after the very heavy morning fog had dissipated.  The dogs and I walked all over the campground and down the road a ways, trying to get in enough exercise. 

There's a doggie play area at this campground and I've taken them there several times.  But for some reason, they find that area boring and after only a few minutes are standing by the gate to leave.  It looks like a nice area to me.  It's all gravel, instead of grass and dirt/mud as most of them are, but there's a beautiful tree in the middle and plenty of room for them to wrestle if they want to.  Not being a dog, I don't know what's so wrong with it.

standard TN license plate
Most people use this style, but TN claims to have 100 specialty plates available, not counting personalized plates.  I guess they do it as a fundraiser, because I'd think specialty plates would be a major nuisance for the police.  I've seen a number of them around but, for my money, Florida still holds the prize for most specialty plates in circulation.

Tomorrow I'm looking forward to going to the birthplace of Pres. Andrew Johnson, who followed Lincoln into the White House.  I've always thought of him as a relatively weak-minded person which may have been unfair.  Next to Lincoln, anyone might seem weak-minded.  Johnson may have just been an ordinary person who simply wasn't up to the stunning task of reuniting a disunited country after a 5-year civil war.  I sure hope they tell me tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment