Saturday, November 30, 2019

Pinson Mounds

Pinson Mounds State Archaeological Park

It was drizzling while we were here, and it was already about 2:30 when we got here, but it was directly on the route to the campground so I decided to stop anyway.  I'm glad I did.

The Mounds

Saul's Mound
At the Visitor Center I learned that Saul's Mound, which is easily visible - even in the rain - from the road, is 72' high and has four corners that each align roughly with the cardinal directions, leaving scientists to speculate it was built for astronomical observations.

The park includes a large number of mounds, each built one basket of dirt at a time by Natives living here between 800 BC and 200 BC.  One of the largest structures is called the Eastern Citadel.


I think the museum's information about who and how the mounds were built is as clear as any summary I could give.  I did my best to filter out the glare.




Those who may think mound-building seems pointless might consider why, 4,000 years later, folks built the cathedrals now found all over Europe.  People don't go to this kind of trouble without a reason.

A brief history of North American people
Each of these periods will be shown in 3 photos.










First Americans part 1

First Americans part 2




























Paleo Indians part 1

Paleo Indians part 2





























Archaic Period part 1

Archaic Period part 2

























Woodland Period part 1

Woodland Period part 2



























Mississippian Period part 1

Mississippian Period part 2


























Historic Period part 1

Historic Period part 2





Native life


I like this drawing


indications of active long-distance trading

Nan-Ye-Hi (Nancy Ward)
1738-1822

her story, part 1



















her story, part 2
her story, part 3



Miscellaneous information
This museum had a great deal more information than I've shown here - there's just a limit (and my photos are uploading very slowly).  But the last thing I want to add is a detailed topographical map of the US, information I keep wishing I had.

Northeast coast















Southeast coast




Southcentral US

Northwest coast















Southwest coast





Northcentral US and Canada

Central US

No comments:

Post a Comment