Sunday, April 22, 2018

Pennsylvania - Day 22 - western lakes

Candlewood Suites Hotel, Pittsburgh
Sunday, 22 April 2018

KOAs have a deal with the CruiseAmerica (RV rental company) where those who rent receive a temporary membership with KOA which entitles them to 10% off the nightly charge.  I remember that from when I rented one, and it's clear they still do that because the whole time I stayed in Erie I saw a new rented RV every night, and last night there were 3.  It's a pretty smart thing for KOA to do.

We had a nice drive down from Erie today.  The sun came out this morning as if it were a regular thing and warmed everything up.  Of course, I'm not used to bright sun any more, and I guess that's what made me feel tireder than the number of miles I drove (160).

I had to go to 3 different hotels before I found one that would let us stay, but the guy was real nice about it so we're here.  Harrisburg tomorrow.

Today we got off the highway to see Pennsylvania's 2 most notable lakes: Conneaut Lake (pronounced cone-ee-ut in Erie) which is the largest natural lake at 1.5 square miles, and Pymatuning Reservoir, the largest manmade lake at 26 square miles.  The only serious hill today was on the way to the lakes - 11% grade but not a big hill and the road was dry so not scary.

The reservoir sits partly in PA and partly in Ohio.  I tried to take photos of it but couldn't seem to get a decent angle - they just came out looking like water, which everybody's seen before.  The state has a fish hatchery there.
Conneaut L. facing south

Conneaut L. facing north










Conneaut Lake is the center of recreation for the area, I state with confidence, based on the number and type of businesses around. 
Hotel Conneaut, built 1893 and still in use

bandstand in the park













To the right of the little park is a big water park with tall slides and so forth.  All around the lake are either homes or taverns and restaurants and little motels and cabins.  It looks like they get a lot of business in the summer and they were getting a fair amount of business today, I guess because it was a sunny Sunday.

I don't think I've seen one Chevron or Texaco station since I've been in PA.  And I guess Chase Bank isn't here either.  Seem like odd omissions.

It's nice to be warm enough that I have to open windows and skylights for air for a change.  Better than huddling around the heater as we have been all week.

No comments:

Post a Comment