Saturday, May 20, 2023

South Carolina - Day 10 - in Charleston campground

Charleston KOA, Ladson
Thursday, 18 through Saturday, 20 May 2023

Over Wednesday night and into Thursday we had a lot of thunder and rain, with rain continuing intermittently all day.

Both Thursday and Friday the kittens knocked over the box of kitty litter and did their best to make a mess on the floor.  I can't figure out any way to stop them, kitty litter isn't cheap and it's not an optional item - we have to have it in this 3-cat household.  Grrr.

I spent all Thursday and into Friday working on the post for Chickamauga in Georgia (that's how far behind I am).

I heard that Jimmy Buffett, speaking of some medical problems he has, quoted Mark Twain when he said, "Challenges make life interesting, however overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."  I didn't know that Jimmy is only 76 - close to my age.

I was surprised to hear that Texas ranks #28 for most gun fatalities/person.  It ranks behind a lot of states I would have thought would know better, like Michigan, Kansas, Indiana.  New Mexico ranks #8.  Louisiana ranks #3, though Louisiana isn't one of the states where I thought they'd know better.

Speaking of Texas, my senator Ted Cruz wants to have an official investigation into Bud Light's advertising program, because Dylan Mulvaney calls herself a "girl," and that means Bud Light is marketing to minors.  I wrote him (I love that website that makes it easy for us to write to our representatives in Washington) and pointed out that Texas was packed with retirees who referred to themselves as "girls" and that I thought he should be doing the job he was elected to do.  Usually when I write I don't ask for a response - and I always get one anyway - but this time I said I do want a response (and I'm still waiting for one).

This KOA isn't as big as I expected it to be, being so close to a tourist attraction like Charleston.  It's only got about 80 campsites, which is plenty big enough, of course, but I've stayed in some with several hundred sites.  However, they charge way too much for their laundry machines and I decided to drive into the nearest small town with a laundromat.  Much easier because I could park near the door (instead of hauling my dirty laundry from my campsite down to the camp office) and I could find an available machine easily.

While we were out I stopped at a Piggly Wiggly and then came back to get directions for our next few days on the road and to work on the post for Rome.


No comments:

Post a Comment