Thursday, January 26, 2023

Florida - Day 10 - in the Orange Blossom KOA campground

Orlando/Orange Blossom KOA, Apopka
Tuesday, 24 through Thursday, 26 January 2023

Most of these three days I spent in planning some of my upcoming travel around Florida.  As time goes on, I have an increasingly harder time making reservations anywhere, and especially on weekends.  I guess it's the folks from Canada and the northern states finally having enough of the winter weather and coming south.  I do see a whole lot of Ontario (especially) license plates, and Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and all the New England states.  That's some serious competition for camping spaces, and I'm somewhat limited because I simply can't afford to pay $70+ for a night of plugging into somebody's electricity.  That's why it took so much time making plans.

Then I also spent a day working on the post for the time I spent in the KOA in Starke, that I just left last Friday.

In making my travel plans, I saw I'd be passing the Kennedy Space Center and wanted to visit there.  But then I learned that the reduced price for seniors for a 1-day pass was $70.  And I decided space travel would have to wait.

I also wanted to visit Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary, an Audubon facility near Naples.  I'd gone there back in the '80s with my husband Pete and I was interested in seeing what it's like now.  But the entrance fee for non-members of Audubon is $17, and I just wasn't that interested.  But while I was examining the map, I discovered a dog park not far away and planned to stop there for Dexter.

I was also curious about a tourist sight called Coral Castle, in the town of Homestead near the Everglades.  It's apparently an oddball place of carved slabs of limestone that was supposedly built by this guy using reverse magnetism or supernatural abilities.  I'm just reporting.  Anyway, they charge $18 to visit here and I just wasn't that interested.  But here's the Wikipedia page if you want to know a little more.   https://en.wikipedia.org/Coral-Castle

Stuff like that.  Trying to figure out what was available, and when and whether I could get to it or not.  At least the wifi signal at this KOA was pretty good.

It rained some of the time we were here when a cold front blew through and took the temp down from in the 80s on Wednesday to the 60s on Thursday.  Still, better than having my waste tanks freeze in Iowa.

And here are more kitten photos.

That's Jimmy on the left and Bucky on the right.
Sometimes they seem like they're half grown though they're only 4½ months old here.  And then they show clearly they're still kittens.

That lump in the blanket in front of Jimmy -
that's Bucky.

And this is Jimmy wrestling the lump.
That quilt was made by my friend Deb and is by now a very well-traveled quilt.


No comments:

Post a Comment