Sunday, August 7, 2022

Montana - Day 7 - in Helena campground

Helena North KOA, Helena
Sunday, 7 August 2022

I spent all morning and into the afternoon today finding and writing down driving directions for the next 3 days.  It's hard because often Google doesn't want to go where I want to go, and I have to argue with it.  And of course, figuring out where I want to go in the first place takes time.

I also did laundry (the facilities were on the opposite side of the campground) and took a shower and cooked a chicken in the slow cooker and cleaned the windows - it all takes time.

My next door neighbor in the campground had a bumper sticker that said:
   A man with a gun is a citizen.
   A man without a gun is a victim.

My own reaction was that somebody who thought he needed a gun constantly to keep from being a victim was in prison inside his own fears.  I've never owned a gun, and the only crimes I've been the victim of were when somebody stole my wallet in a bar and a Peeping Tom, both back in the '70s.  On that 2nd one, I called the police and they came so fast they almost caught the guy, who never came back, and the cops said they really hate Peeping Toms.  Anyway, I don't agree with the neighbor, but I also won't bother knocking on his door to ask for help, for fear of getting shot by accident.

I thought my neighbor on the other side was speaking in a foreign language when I heard him talking to his wife.  And then I finally remembered I'd seen Alabama license plates on their truck.  After that, I could sort out the serious Southern accent and turn what he was saying into words.

Dext and I go for walks at least 4 times a day, even when we're sitting in a campground.  And this was a nice campground with a decent dog park, but there was gravel everywhere in the campground, which Dexter doesn't like to walk on, and there really wasn't any place else I could take him.

It was a pleasant and productive day and I wished I could stay longer, but I've got reservations already made and a whole lot of Montana still to see.


No comments:

Post a Comment