Thursday, June 30, 2022

Washington - Day 30 - in Clarkston campground

Hells Canyon RV Resort, Clarkston
Thursday, 30 June 2022

Hells Canyon isn't actually anywhere near here.   It's about a 30-mile drive to get from here to Oregon, and Hells Canyon forms a big chunk of the border between Oregon and Idaho.  It's the deepest canyon in North America and was created by the mighty Snake River itself.  I'm guessing this campground got its name from the canyon-related tourism that Clarkston provides.

Not having done my homework ahead of time, I hadn't realized all that and was hoping I could at least catch a glimpse of the canyon from the vicinity of the campground.  Of course, that didn't work out, and I haven't completely given up that hope yet, but I now know it's a lot more inaccessible than I'm prepared for right now.  But it's a worthy goal, and I'm attaching this webpage that has some great photos and information about the canyon and its history.   https://www.thetravel.com/hells-canyon-matches-its-name

While we were here, I got 2 more blog posts done (I'm now up to Day 18!), and planned driving routes in Idaho.  Dext and I took several walks, but this is one of those places that doesn't want you walking dogs around the park.  They've provided what they call a "dog run" which is nothing of the sort.  It's a small area that's been divided in half, and each side is so small you'd have to have a Dachshund or something that size for it to be able to run.  Dext could cover it in a few steps, but he didn't even bother.  Instead of grass they used gravel, which I suppose is easier to keep clean but Dext doesn't like it much.  There wasn't even a scrap of shade.  It was a sort of prelude to Hell in itself, and I didn't inflict it on Dext but the once.

So we had to pretend we weren't walking in the campground when that's exactly what we were doing.  The campground was beside a marina (that's where the "resort" part comes in, I guess) and we walked along beside it and into a sort of wasteland area beyond it.  But there really wasn't anywhere else for us to go that didn't involve a lot of traffic.  Too bad for both of us.

But we were staying only these 2 nights here, and we were able to cope okay.


No comments:

Post a Comment