Wednesday, March 9, 2022

California - Day 9 - at the showgrounds

Earl Warren Showgrounds, Santa Barbara
Wednesday, 9 March 2022

This morning I suddenly remembered the Reagan Presidential Library is somewhere in California and looked it up, only to find that I drove very near it yesterday.  A shame, really, because I'd looked it up last month and discovered that for this month only I could get half-price admission.  I wasn't really willing to pay $27 (senior price) but I was willing to pay $13, but I blew it.  Yet another example of how I'm just not prepared to visit California right now.  First I miss my cousin, then I miss the former president.

This showgrounds seems to be intended specifically for horses - at least, the buildings I saw were for horse stuff.  I'm staying in a fairly small area that's probably packed with RVs when there's some sort of horse event on, but I managed to get here during a hiatus and there aren't many others here.

At the entrance is a statue of a man on horseback that I assumed was this Earl Warren the place was named for.  Instead, a plaque says it's intended to be a generic man on horseback to symbolize the ruggedness of the true cowboy which is sadly fading away (or words to that effect).  I'd concluded this place couldn't be referring to the Earl Warren - the one of US Supreme Court fame - because what would he have to do with horses?  But once when the dogs and I were walking around, I found another plaque that said, yes, it is indeed that Earl Warren.  I'd forgotten he was from California.

This plaque emphasized that he was CA attorney general and CA governor and, almost as an afterthought, mentioned that he was also on the US Supreme Court.  Just shows what a parochial viewpoint can do.  When I looked him up online, I found that they were right in that he was a really big deal in the state for many years in the various positions he held.  His actions seem to speak of a hardline Republican (the old style) and I can see why Eisenhower would have appointed him.  I'd imagine that his subsequent decisions came as a big surprise to many people.  Here's the Wikipedia page.   https://en.wikipedia.org/Earl-Warren

Today I called T-Mobile to find out why my hotspot hasn't been connecting for the last several weeks.  They said they couldn't figure it out, but I'm guessing that somewhere during all the conversations they fixed it anyway.  Or maybe I did when they told me to take out the SIM card and replace it.  A reset.

I finally finished my posts for my month in Arizona (about time, wouldn't you say?), so I can pay full attention to California, which apparently I need to do since I seem to be missing things.

I made appointments for getting the dogs bathed when we get to Salinas - first time in months and they badly need it.  I can't pat them without little puffs of dirt flying off them, and Gracie desperately needs a major brushing.

We were lucky the weather was good.  Always a lift to the spirits to see sunshine.


No comments:

Post a Comment