Thursday, February 17, 2022

Arizona - in Benson

Benson KOA, Benson
Wednesday, 16 and Thursday, 17 February 2022

That strong wind from yesterday continued over the next couple of days and brought with it a cold front.  The high temp on Tuesday probably made the forecast of 77°, while Wednesday's high was for 46° with rain included.  Thursday wasn't much of an improvement.

I spent quite a bit of the time here making plans for the rest of the month - deciding what sights I still wanted to see in Arizona, figuring out where we'll be staying and making those reservations.  And I went a bit further and made plans for the first few days we'd be in California next month.  I'm not sure why, but it always seems to take hours to do this kind of planning.

Lots of other dogs around the campground, but since the place was by no means even as full as it was in December, we could make it work.

I talked with a woman from Olympia, WA, who informed me sadly that once the pandemic allowed people to work from home, the population in the Olympia area skyrocketed, as did the price of houses.  Such a shame.  When I lived there it was a nice, reasonably-growing area, but she made it sound like it was getting out of control.

And I talked with a couple who were from East Greenwich, RI, which I'm pretty familiar with thanks to my Momma and the month I spent in the state.  They were talking about the exploding property taxes on people's houses, which priced a lot of people out of the market.  I was interested that the man was still - 5 years later - upset about that Access Hollywood tape of Trump.  Until then, the man said, he'd thought of Trump as a businessman who'd bring those principles to governing; but after that, he'd thought of his own daughters and how beyond the pale he thought Trump's words (and actions) were.  He said it was why he ended up not voting for him when he otherwise might have.

And I talked with still another couple from somewhere in Wyoming, maybe Rock Springs.  They said they'd spent the last 3 winters in Yuma, but this year they were trying to see more of Arizona.  They'd been down to Tombstone and planned to go back, saying it was a lot of fun - which it is.  I remember the Rock Springs area - it's just north of Flaming Gorge that runs down into Utah.  I'm sure it gets cold in the winters, but I don't know that I'd've picked southern Arizona to run to.  But each to his own.


No comments:

Post a Comment