Saturday, November 14, 2020

Texas - Day 7 - errands in Lubbock

Lubbock KOA, Lubbock
Monday, 9 November 2020

Today I had a list of errands to run, which turned out to take longer than I expected, as usual.

Lily had a 9 AM appointment at a vet clinic to have her claws clipped and her flea medicine administered. I aimed to get there early, so as to be able to find a parking place in the clinic’s small parking lot (I looked online), but even before 8:30 it was nearly full. Apparently their appointments started much earlier than my 9 AM one. But I squeezed in because I have so much overhang past my rear tires: I can fit the RV into a normal parking place as long as there’s space behind it to stick the rear end.

From there we drove down the street to a grocery store where the city said it had recycling drop-off boxes. Well, yeah, there were boxes, but what they’d accept was severely limited. Only plastic #1 & #2 bottles and aluminum and newspaper and “office paper” and tin. No glass, no mixed paper, no plastics that weren’t bottles. So I got rid of my milk jugs and a few other things but was left with most of my recycle collection.

This grocery store was a United Supermarket, which is a chain I've had good luck finding things in.  Their website says they started in 1916, are based in Lubbock, and have 95 stores in Texas and New Mexico.  They don't mention Oklahoma, but that store I stopped at in Woodward after Alabaster Caverns was a United, and I think I've found them other places as well.  Apparently United is part of Albertsons.

Because I’m back in Texas, I could find wine in the grocery store, and this one had a fair selection. But I stopped at a liquor store across the street, just in case. It was a local store – Pinkie’s Liquor – and they had absolutely nothing I wanted. Too bad.

From there I drove nearly 5 miles to a locally-owned pet supply store. I was nearly out of doggy poop bags and was surprised to find they only had 3 packages of 1 kind for sale. So I bought one. They also had 8 or 9 cages of cats for sale, and I was stunned to see they were asking $69.99 for a kitten. They weren’t pure-bred or anything special, just cute but ordinary kittens.
Maybe my memory’s just faulty, but I don’t remember ever paying anything like that to adopt my critters. (It’s probably my memory.)

I passed a lululemon pop up store, which surprised me. That brand seems more cosmopolitan than Lubbock strikes me.

From the pet store I stopped at a Spec’s Liquor, where they had a massive wine selection and none of it was what I was looking for – and could find easily even in grocery stores around the country. What’s up with Lubbock? But they did have my scotch, so I bought 2 bottles, since that’s not available everywhere either.

I was going to go across the street to PetSmart but decided to stick with the poop bags I’d already bought and hope for a better selection next time I needed them.

And from there I went back to the campground.

My conclusion: Lubbock’s an odd blend of big city and rube town. But the people I met were nice.



No comments:

Post a Comment