Saturday, November 28, 2020

Texas - Day 12 - in the Van Horn campground

Mountain View RV Park, Van Horn
Saturday, 14 November 2020

This is a strange RV park.  It's long and narrow, with one end on the I-10 frontage road and the other abutting farmland.  It's laid out to have 2 entrances, but one on the side is blocked off with large rocks, leaving between the rocks and the campground a stretch of pavement and part-pavement that's big enough for another RV park.  

The campground has a huge dog park that runs half the length of the RV park, but it has only one entrance instead of the several it should have to be convenient.  And that entrance is not in the middle of the dog park where it might be useful to many but instead at one end where some (including my dogs and me) have to walk almost the length of the dog park to enter the dog park.  

There's no litter to speak of, but the campground still gives an impression of slovenliness.  Part of that was likely the dustiness of a west Texas town.  But part was also the owner's appearance - he was enormously fat and, with his face mask barely covering even his mouth, seemed insanitary.  I knew while I was still registering yesterday that I wouldn't be using their showers, though I may have just been prejudiced.  

He kept telling me I could have any space I wanted except for the driveway, but there was no driveway marked either in real life or on the campground map.  When I told him which spot I wanted, he insisted I was talking about another spot.  And when I finally said "see that rock next to the tree down there? that's where the site is" he said "oh no, that's the driveway" and never mind that it's clearly labeled as a site both in real life and on the map.  Grrr.  So he gave me the site next to it.

Then when I wanted to take the dogs out at bedtime yesterday (and these days bedtime's pretty early, with the sun going down right at 6:00), I saw a pair of dogs wandering around without leashes or human beings in sight.  And I continued to see them wandering around near our RV for the next half hour and finally went outside to find out who they belonged to, and met the night manager who was doing the same thing.  He finally concluded they were strays, which instantly reminded me of those strays at the campground in Alabama that antagonized my dogs into pulling me across a gravel road.  One of those gouges I got then took months to heal and I have a very visible scar as a result - which I showed the night manager to emphasize that he needed to get a handle on those stray dogs.

I didn't see those dogs again, or any other dogs without humans, but the incident was unnerving.  In fact, I didn't have any trouble again with the campground while I was there, but my overall impression was not a happy one.  I'd made a reservation here for 3 nights and planned to stay for 4, but what with one thing and another, I decided to cut out after only the 3 I'd paid for.

On the plus side, I spent all day today playing catch-up on my blog and got 3 more posts written and published.  The dogs got some long walks and things were pretty quiet.

I've got these funny photos of Gracie I took yesterday.



















Remember, she's a black dog with a little white on her.  With this coating of dust she acquired, it's not easy to tell where the original white starts.  As a reminder, this photo of Dext is the black she's supposed to be.


Glossy, yes, but still black.  Gracie just loves to roll in sand.  And dirt and leaves - fall is her favorite season because of the leaves she can roll in.  Dexter seems to go for scent, though thankfully so far it's always been a scent I couldn't detect with my inferior non-doggy nose.


No comments:

Post a Comment