Sunday, August 18, 2019

Sassy Cow Creamery

I don't remember where I originally found the name of this creamery.  A brochure for Wisconsin dairies I picked up at the Visitor Center on Day 3 mostly listed cheese places but also creameries, and this was one of them, but that's not where I first got it.

Wherever it was, I was attracted to this place because it's small and family-owned and just had a good feel to me.

Their website says they get their milk from a family farm owned and operated by brothers.  They have 600 traditional and 250 organic cows that, together, produce 6,000 gal. of milk each day.  They don't make cheese but instead produce milks, creams, and ice creams.

This link takes you to a little of their philosophy and history.   www.sassycowcreamery.com/our-creamery

While I was there, they were bottling gallons of milk.  This photo through their viewing window isn't all that clear, but you might be able to see the filled bottles going through the hatch at the right rear.


I wasn't hungry so didn't want to order a milk shake or anything substantial, but I'd intended to buy some ice cream I could stick in the freezer for later.  Unfortunately, all their prepacked ice cream was in half-gallon cartons, which I don't have room for in my little freezer.  And none of the flavors they had open that they could use to pack smaller cups were flavors I was interested in. 

I ended up buying only a half-gallon of their organic milk (really good milk) and some cheese.  They have several cases full of cheeses from around the state and I decided on some Wisconsin smoked Capriko cheese, which is from half-goat milk and half-cow milk.  Mild flavor and good.  But hated to leave without the ice cream.

The building appeared to be undergoing a renovation that would double its size.  Customers had to walk through a very large plywood box (basically) to get to the front door.  I didn't get around to asking, but that's what I think is happening.  Their current sales room is less than half the size of that room you can see they use for bottling, which should explain why I think they're expanding.  And maybe they'll include some indoor tables, which right now there's absolutely not a hint of room for.  That would make it more of a 4-season destination than the strictly outdoor picnic tables they have right now.

I'd also hoped to be there on an ice cream packing day - Momma and I used to go on the tour at the Blue Bell Ice Cream factory in Brenham (TX) and I was curious about a smaller operation.  So all around my hopes were disappointed, but I was still glad I went.  The milk was great and I wished I had more frig room for an extra half-gallon.  But I'm sure there'll be a next time I can look forward to. 


No comments:

Post a Comment