Monday, August 19, 2019

Jim and Kris Faecke

Because Jim needed to spend his time in Mineral Point focusing on his art, we got very little time to visit.  Plus, he's been married to Kris all these years and I've never had the chance to meet her.  So I invited myself over to their house on Sunday afternoon.

Jim and Kris at home

They live in an older neighborhood that reminded me a lot of the one my Momma lived in - convenient to a whole lot of things, lots of old trees, lots of sidewalks (uneven because of the tree roots), almost all older houses that have mostly been renovated and updated, some by younger couples moving in to raise their families.

Their house dates back to the '30s (I think) and had been ruined with mid-century "renovations" much as the Capitol had been.  Jim and Kris said they've spent most of the past 20 years or so undoing the things that had been done to the house (e.g. replacing the old wood floors that had been drenched in dog pee because the original owners had more dogs than they could care for).  It's certainly lovely now and seems very comfortable.

Jim spent many years in architecture but found the artistic design side more fulfilling.  He's finally making art his career and seems very happy.  Don't forget to check out his website at  https://jamesfaecke.com/.

Kris is a textile artist and has retired from teaching.  Some of her amazing artwork was displayed in the house.

They have 2 grown sons, both now proving that art and science are weirdly related.

I was glad to be able to spend time with them.  It's odd that, even though I'd scarcely seen Jim since the mid-70s, I wasn't at all worried that we'd have changed so much we wouldn't have a comfortable visit together.  Certainly we were young, and people often change with time, but I was sure he'd be the very nice person he always was.  And I was right.  And Kris seems to be much like him - very easy to be with.  I'm so glad to have seen them.


No comments:

Post a Comment