Thursday, March 2, 2023

Georgia - Day 2 - in the St. Marys campground

Jacksonville North/St. Marys KOA, St. Marys
Thursday, 2 March 2023

I heard on the radio that a bill was just filed in the Florida legislature that would mandate that I, as the writer of a blog that has commented on Gov. DeSantis, would have to register with the state if I might receive compensation.  Actually, I decided in the beginning not to allow ads on this blog, but if I did do that, presumably I'd be subject to this bill if it became law.  I didn't hear that this was limited to FL residents.  These are strange times in Florida, and I can't help but wonder how much of that would translate to the whole country if DeSantis becomes president.

Today I wrote blog posts for Florida from February 2nd through the 4th, and now I have 16 more to finish for FL plus these first 2 days for GA.

I originally made reservations for these first 2 nights here in St. Marys because it was the closest to Florida.  But it's a little spendy for me, so I planned the next 3 nights at another KOA that's less expensive. 

But because of feeling frantic about being so far behind and not wanting to get even farther behind while traveling around Georgia, I made another reservation at a different campground to stay for several weeks while I catch up my posts and plan for where to visit in Georgia.  Just having made the decision to take things more slowly made me feel calmer.

And I inserted into that itinerary a trip to the Okefenokee Swamp, a place I've wanted to visit for years.

The longer I live with these kittens, the more convinced I am that there's something mentally wrong with Jimmy.  Maybe it's a result of him being the runt of the litter, or maybe the infection that messed up his eye also messed up his brain a little, but he's just not acting like his brain works right.  

I see Bucky being able (reluctantly) to learn from one situation to the next, to start to connect that if he does A, then B consequences will follow, and that B follows each time he does A - so he stops doing A.  But for Jimmy, each time he does A, in his mind it's the first time he's done it.  And he repeats A within seconds of receiving B consequences, and repeats it and repeats it - within seconds of each time.  I'm not talking about even minutes apart, just seconds.  And with B consequences he looks at me with complete lack of comprehension each time.  Absolutely no connecting A with B.  It's just weird.  Everybody can eventually make that connection if they've got the mental ability to do it.  Which is why I think he's missing that part.

Maybe he has ADHD?

All that aggravation (for me) would be balanced by the fact that he can be very affectionate.  But even that comes with the problem of him wanting to bite/nibble on me within 10 seconds of me starting to pat him.  He just cannot stop moving.

I've never known anyone like this and I don't know if there's anything I can do.  He's been like this for at least the last couple of months.  It's not like he's a kid I can take to a doctor and maybe get medication and limit his time online and be sure he gets enough sleep and exercise.  He's a kitten.  I give him good food and try to provide a safe environment and I gave him his brother as a playmate, and I don't think there's anything else I can do.  Except hope he grows out of it.

Here's a slightly blurred photo of one of his calmer moments.

The lump in the bedspread is Bucky, of course.


No comments:

Post a Comment