Saturday, November 19, 2022

still not Iowa - Days 17 - 19 - in Wellington, KS, campground

Wellington KOA, Wellington
Thursday, 17 through Saturday, 19 November 2022

I stayed here longer than I'd planned because I checked the weather in Iowa.  Having just thawed out my waste tanks, I wasn't ready to have them freeze solid again with almost half a month still to go.  The forecasts said (relatively) warmer weather would be coming to western Iowa beginning on Sunday, so I decided to stay here till then.  It's not that the prediction for the next few days was balmy for here either, but it was just supposed to be not as cold, which at this point was enough.

Although one day it got really cold here - not even above freezing - and the official wind chill put the temp down to 25°.  If that's what it was in southern Kansas I hate to even think about being in central Iowa right now.

One odd thing about my stay so far in Iowa was that I hadn't been able to take a shower.  All the campgrounds had their water turned off, including their showers.  So I thankfully used the facilities here in Wellington.  And did my laundry, too, which was something else I hadn't done in Iowa.  Nice to have clean clothes for my clean body, and especially my clean hair.

One day here I found myself completely out of propane.  I'd just checked it in the late afternoon the day before and it was about a third of a tank.  And then somehow it was down to completely empty the next mid-morning.  But when the nice KOA guy braved the cold wind to come fill my tank, we found he couldn't.  It turned out there was so much air in the tank his equipment wasn't able to pump any fuel in.  After about 5 minutes of bleeding air out of the line, I was back up to above a third of a tank, none of which had come from him.  It was just the air that caused that reading.  The guy said he hadn't had that happen before, and I told him it had happened to me a couple of times before - which is why I knew he should bleed the air out, because he kept thinking he just hadn't made a good connection with his hose.  He didn't charge me anything for his efforts, which I thought was nice.

One night I called into the Pizza Hut in town and ordered a pizza delivered.  I remembered doing that when I stayed here 2 years ago, and I remembered them being really unclear about where the campground was.  Well, times have changed, and when I called them this time, prepared for a discussion about the location, they didn't need it.  They knew exactly where the campground was and apparently had gotten a map of the campground and brought the pizza directly to my campsite, whereas before I had to flag them down because they were driving all over the campground.  And my phone number was still in their system, which seemed a little odd.  But it was nice to have the pizza.

I went into town one day and got groceries and stopped at the post office and took a walk in the park.  I remembered both the park and the grocery store from when we were here before.  Nice little town, with 7,715 people.

I managed to write 4 blog posts while we were here.  And cleaned the windows, which all the indoor dwellers appreciated.

All in all, it was a productive 3 days.  And I really hoped the weather would be a little easier to deal with when we got back up to Iowa.


No comments:

Post a Comment