Thursday, July 21, 2022

Idaho - Day 21 - in the Boise campground

Meridian/Boise KOA, Meridian
Thursday, 21 July 2022

When I got here, I still didn't know where I would be staying when I left here, so I finally made reservations for the next few nights and planned the driving routes I'd take.

I did some chores and mostly tried to stay cool, because the forecast again was for 100°.  This campground has gravel campsites with small patches of grass but is otherwise completely paved.  That would normally make it easier for Dext to walk, because he's happiest with pavement.  But while we were here it was so hot the pavement seemed to hurt his paws.

The campground had 5 dog parks, and we visited them all.  Three of them were so small we didn't stay longer than about 2 minutes in them - Dext didn't even want to go in one because of how small it was.  But 2 others were bigger.  Still, it was just too hot for us to want to stay out very long.

On Thursday, I started smelling propane in the morning, which of course worried me.  But when we went out for walks I seemed to be able to smell it around the campground here and there too, so I decided it was just a sort of ambient scent - I had the windows open during the morning.  But about noon when it started heating up, I closed up the RV and turned on the AC and then the smell got really strong.  When Dexter and I came back from one of our afternoon walks, the smell really hit me when we got inside.

I went down to the office to ask for help, in case something had happened when I'd bought propane after I registered here yesterday.  So the guy who'd pumped the propane came on down, checked all the valves and things at the propane tank, and then went into the cabin - and the first whiff told him I wasn't imagining it.  Fortunately he thought to check my stovetop, which I hadn't done because I knew I'd used it this morning for coffee with no problems.  But somehow one of the controls got turned to the low setting, so the stove had been spewing propane into the cabin all morning probably.  Very lucky I gave up smoking.  I figure the guy saved my life and thanked him for it.

By then a bunch of bikers had arrived and were pitching tents in the campsites behind me.  The KOA guy made a face but I told him they were usually pretty quiet (except for their bikes) so I didn't mind.  But he told me they were expecting 60 or 70 bikers overnight.  I should have looked up the reason then, or asked some of the bikers, but it honestly didn't occur to me and I'm blaming the heat for that oversight, because I can't find it now.

Despite the heat, I ordered another pizza, figuring that with next month in the wilds of Montana it would likely be a long time before I'd get another one.  You can see this box is full of made-in-Idaho tags.  Actually, I'd hope all pizza would be made in the state it's bought in, but that's not something I know about.


It was a pretty good pizza.


No comments:

Post a Comment