Friday, April 29, 2022

Nevada - Days 27 - 29 - in the campground

Reno KOA at Boomtown, Verdi 
Wednesday, 27 through Friday, 29 April 2022

I had hoped to have 5 days in the campground at the end of the month, so I'd have one day to visit Pyramid Lake and 4 days to catch up my blog, make plans for my first few days in Oregon, and do the chores around the RV I always try to do at the end of the month.  But the snow and ice in Ely cut that time short, and here I have only 3 days.  I was very busy.

I got 6 posts done, but I needed to do 2 more to be caught up and would need 2 more after those to finish the month.  Still, I was in better shape than when I left California.  I got held up by slow wifi at times, but I think I'm figuring out how to get around it.

I attached the new drawer latch, which turned out to be a much bigger production than I'd expected, but I got it done.

I made reservations for my first 3 days in Oregon, planned the driving routes, and checked the weather forecasts from now until then.  

I have a cousin and several friends who I thought were living in Oregon, and I tried to make contact with them, remembering what a mess I'd made of that in California.

Steller's Jay
I'd forgotten that when I stayed at this campground earlier this month I'd seen Steller's Jays, and here they were again.  I looked them up in the bird book and learned they aren't supposed to be in Nevada at all - except apparently they frequent the Sierra Nevada, which Verdi (where the campground is) is in the foothills of.  So I guess they do belong here.  I've always liked them, though they tend to be bullies at bird feeders.  But they're smart and really pretty.

House Finch
I saw several of these little guys feeding under a pine tree.  They're native to desert habitat but have made themselves adaptable to just about anything that comes along, so they've been spreading throughout the continent.  Pretty little things.

I cleaned the windows and the floors and the bathroom, changed the sheets, did laundry - all those chores that have to be done but aren't very rewarding after the first couple of hours because things just get dirty again.

You may not remember, though I do clearly, that when I stayed here at the beginning of the month, I couldn't find a campsite at all level and my frig stopped working.  Well, I'd carefully picked my site this time, and I think it's one of the most level this park-on-a-hill has to offer.  But once again my frig stopped working.  

I remembered that last time I'd switched the energy source for the frig from electric to propane, and that may not have made a difference but the frig did start working after that.  So this time I switched to propane as soon as I realized its interior temp was into the 50s.  And sure enough, it started working again.  

I hate to admit it but buying this new frig was a very expensive mistake.  My original one was working fine and I probably thought it'd stopped working just because it didn't cool down as quickly as a regular frig in a regular kitchen.  This one is temperamental, beeps at me for no reason I can tell, stops working for no reason I can tell . . . anyway, I think I'll just leave it on propane power for a few days and see how things go.

Although this is a large campground, there aren't as many places for the dogs to walk as we'd like and the "dog park" is just a fairly small fenced piece of hard sand/gravel with no shade.  No dogs visit there because their owners look at that and give it a miss, so my dogs don't even have anything new to sniff.  I took them there a few times anyway as a place they can be off their leashes, but they were always ready to leave after a few minutes. 

But aside from the problems for my dogs and with my frig, this turned out to be a comfortable productive period, and I wished for one extra day when I could have gotten completely caught up.  But it was a better way to end the month than I'd begun it.


No comments:

Post a Comment