Friday, November 26, 2021

New Mexico - Days 9 - 11 - in the campground

Carlsbad KOA, Carlsbad
Tuesday, 9 through Thursday, 11 November 2021

It seemed a little nuts to come all this way south and not visit Carlsbad Caverns, which I actually wanted to see, having heard about it all my life.  But I was still feeling somewhat dizzy for enough of the time here to make me worried.  I decided that staying still and not changing altitudes again by going underground might be more therapeutic.

The whole point of coming down here now, instead of going farther north, was to get to an elevation below 5,000', which the internet recommended for altitude sickness.  I have little faith in medical advice from the internet, but this seemed intuitive and safe and easy to follow (not like injecting disinfectant, for instance).  But because I wasn't getting significant relief from the symptoms, I finally decided to see a doctor, and found a clinic in Roswell that could take me on Friday as a walk-in with an appointment.

And because I wasn't magically well again, I decided there was no point staying here past the time of my doctor appointment.  So I made reservations for upcoming travel and plotted driving routes, all of which takes time.

I had heard that last week a bunch of people gathered at Dealey Plaza in Dallas to witness the return of JFK Jr. who, they believe, faked his own death in 1999 (they don't explain why he would do this or what happened to his wife and sister-in-law), has been in hiding ever since - possibly working as an accountant somewhere (again, why), and that he'd reappear in public on November 2nd here where his father was killed, and reinstate Trump as rightful president (they don't explain how this would happen) and would become Trump's vice president.  It's that last one that really stuns me.  If JFK Jr. has this much fanatical support, why wouldn't he declare himself as president (if he has the power to declare presidents) and why would he - a lifelong Democrat and son of a Democrat and member of a staunchly Democratic family - join forces with a Republican?  Especially playing 2nd fiddle?  But a whole bunch of folks believed it.  

I found an article that talks about the man who came up with this crazy notion.   https://www.vice.com/qanon-dallas-jfk-michael-protzman-negative48  The article explains that JFK Jr. is a descendant of the marriage between Jesus and Mary Magdalene (my copy of the Bible somehow missed this), and that I, as someone with blood type O, am related to Jesus and am therefore being hunted by the New World Order.  Funny, but none of these folks mentions JFK Jr.'s sister Caroline, who is still alive and well.  Isn't she too a descendant of this Jesus/Mary union?  And she didn't fake her own death, so there wouldn't be any awkward explanations.  Maybe they asked her and she refused to take part in this lunacy.  Or maybe they're just sexist.

Because I'm writing this post so much later than it happened, I feel compelled to give an update, which is that a lot of those Qanon folks stayed over and reassembled at Dealey Plaza on Monday, the 22nd, the anniversary of JFK's assassination.  They expected to see both JFK Jr. and his 104-year-old dad appear there.  I found this article, somewhat obscured by all the ads, that explains why these folks gathered and describes the cult-like atmosphere.   https://www.alternet.org/bizarre-qanon-group-shows-how-conspiracism-breeds-cults

But I also found another writer who pointed out that, despite how nutty some of these ideas seem, these folks are still allowed to vote, despite being obviously out of touch with reality.  This writer, Jason Easley, pointed out that bipartisan consensus is unlikely when one party includes a cult that believes in a Trump/JFK Jr. ticket.  He said, "America isn't just two different countries.  It is becoming two different planets."

And these folks are still allowed to vote.


No comments:

Post a Comment