Saturday, July 31, 2021

North Dakota - Day 31 - in Bowman's campground

The Ridge RV Park, Bowman
Saturday, 31 July 2021

It was a quiet day in the campground today.  Hot.

I got several blog posts done, and I took the dogs for numerous walks.

Just over what would be a block in a regular town from the campground, we came to a number of very large silos and other equipment.  The only label I could see was "Great Northern Ag."  They say they're a seed retail company with 2 locations - here in Bowman and in an equally small town near New Town north of Lake Sakakawea.  I'd say they were a quiet company because I never heard anything from them, but I was only here on a weekend so maybe things heat up during the week.


I saw these flowers all over the state, everywhere, so I wanted to take a photo to document them.  They were of course all along the road beside the campground.  They seemed to be a sort of vine, so I'm guessing they do their share in keeping the soil in place.

Probably because it's a Saturday, there were nearly a dozen campsites taken up tonight.  And still nobody at the place across the street.  Very odd.

I forgot to mention yesterday that on my drive down here, the official state highway map showed me passing the turnoff to something called Burning Coal Vein and Columnar Cedars.  And it was enough on the way that I'd've been glad to try to find it.  The problem was that the only road was shown on both that map and the AAA map as being unpaved.  And it would've been more than a couple of miles both to and from on this unpaved road.  I just didn't want to do it.  But I was still curious, especially because - "columnar cedars" - huh?  So I looked it up and found a public radio article about it.   https://news.prairiepublic.org/burning-coal-vein-and-columnar-junipers  Pretty interesting.  Maybe another trip - with another vehicle.

Tomorrow I head south for South Dakota.  I'm sorry I'm not more caught up on my North Dakota posts, which may make it hard for me to focus on what SD has to offer.  But I'm doing the best I can.  I was hampered for days on end by having an arm I could barely use, and that really set me back.  But these things happen, and I'll get caught up eventually.


No comments:

Post a Comment