Sunday, May 23, 2021

. . . and spent days in the campground . . .

Newton/Des Moines East KOA, Newton
Sunday, 2 - Wednesday, 5 May, 2021

Over the course of these days, I came to realize that I was once again the victim of that stomach flu I'd had in January.  I had terrible diarrhea, which left me dehydrated and low on sleep.  I had a low-grade fever, no energy, and little interest in food.  Walking the dogs took almost all my energy during the first few days.  I don't know why I keep getting this illness.  I wash my hands; I wash my food; I wash my dishes; I don't even kiss my pets, let alone let them lick me; I don't eat spoiled food.  And I don't actually remembering ever having this particular illness before 4 months ago.  And now, the 2nd time.  Yuck.

I did get a few things done.  I made and kept an appointment for Lily to have her claws clipped and her flea medicine applied.

I took my RV to a tire shop and had them check my right rear tire that looked too low - and it was too low.  They filled it with air and checked all the tires to be sure I was okay and didn't charge me a nickel.  Nice folks.

I called every RV place I could find in Iowa to find someone who could fix my cabin door.  Nobody was willing to even look at it for at least the next 2 weeks and, since they were all in the Des Moines area, I couldn't see how I could tour Iowa and still get the door fixed.  One of the places I called suggested I get in touch with the place where I'd bought it to find out if this was a problem under recall.  I called the dealer twice, left messages, and never got a return call.

The door flew open again, by the way, when I was driving back to the campground from my trip to town.  Luckily I was on a semi-residential road instead of a highway.  Clearly, it's not safe as it is.

And after days went by with my illness not really abating much and my door not looking like it was going to get fixed soon and feeling overwhelmed with it all, I threw in the towel.  I emailed David and Anna and asked if we could all come stay for a while while I got these problems tended to.  And generous people that they are, they agreed without hesitation.  This time, I suggested we do what they'd wanted me to do a year ago, which was to stay in the house with them and park the RV down the street in the neighborhood overflow parking lot.  We were all hoping it wouldn't be there long, that I'd be able to get it in to a repair shop and let it sit there instead.

So I planned a driving route back to Texas, made campground reservations, and got us ready to take another trip.  At least, this time I figured I'd be a safer driver than the last trip.

But this is why Iowa will not be my 30th state.  I'll have to put it off until later.  A real shame, because I've really been looking forward to seeing what Iowa has to offer.


No comments:

Post a Comment