Saturday, January 23, 2021

Texas - Day 68 - 71 - in Cedar Hill

Cedar Hill State Park, Cedar Hill
Sunday, 10 through Wednesday, 13 January 2021

The most noteworthy thing to happen during this period was the snow.  We got an inch here in Cedar Hill.  David and Anna told me they only got a sprinkling that melted almost as soon as it hit the ground.  But south toward Waco they got nearly 5".  So weird.  This part of Texas rarely gets any snow to speak of in any year, but to have Waco get so very much more than Dallas is hard to believe.  My dogs got to enjoy it briefly, but even our one inch melted pretty fast when the sun came out.  Too bad.  I'd hoped for more for their sakes.

I only got one more blog post done during these 4 days and not much else.  I'm afraid I was absolutely paralyzed over the events of January 6th, and the continuing stream of information that trickled out about what had happened.  The more I learned, the more upset and fearful for our country I got.

I wasn't very interested in much of anything else but just wanted to learn more about this nightmarish event.  I guess I thought that somehow it would make sense to me if I just learned enough about it.

I'm now able to understand much more clearly than before how people get caught up in some of these far-right-wing conspiracy theories (like QAnon), if they too are upset about something (e.g. their preferred presidential candidate lost) and read more and more to try to understand how it could have happened, and very unfortunately stumble on people who are better at purveying theories as facts than at purveying unpalatable facts.  I'm lucky that I stick to established news sources, and that I've learned to control for the biases of some of the writers, and that my education has taught me to ask "is this true?" and try to find the truth before believing some of the nearly unbelievable things - like US senators and representatives who had been forced to hide in fear for their lives turning around and supporting exactly the line of falsehoods that had propelled the mob in the first place - yeah, unbelievable like that.

Anyway, I didn't get much done in this period.


No comments:

Post a Comment