Friday, August 28, 2020

Oklahoma - Day 28 - Boiling Springs campground

Boiling Springs State Park, Woodward
Friday, 28 August 2020

Except that there were a lot of stickers, this was a nice campground and we were comfortable.  There weren't more than half a dozen of us, even on the weekend.  I guess people are saving up for Labor Day.

I had to drive into Mooreland to get an internet signal during the day.  Park staff had told me today was predicted to be the hottest of the year, and I guess it was: 110° - 113°, depending on who was doing the reporting.  Hot any way you look at it.  The staff told me it was typical for unusual heat to precede a cold front, which they said was expected for tomorrow.

Of course I didn't plan well and had to clean the windshield when we got back to the park.  This was at 4 PM, meaning the hottest time of the day.  The heat felt like an insult to my system and took a while to recover from.  Definitely not as dry a heat as I'd expect.

This campground has some nice Black Locust trees and some Chinaberry trees - a decent amount of shade at most campsites.

On our early morning walk today I saw a flock of 15-20 wild turkeys.  I stopped dead when I saw them to try not to scare them and to try not to alert the dogs.  The turkeys just gradually moved away from us and the dogs didn't notice them until they were almost out of sight.  It helped that we still had low light levels - I don't think we could have gotten away with it in broad daylight.  As it was, it was just peaceful for me.

Three does and their fawns came out to eat in the evening.  Dexter thought about growling at them, but I was so fascinated he stopped being aggressive and just sat and watched them the whole time I took these (and other) photos and the 2 videos below.  This too was really peaceful.

I had trouble posting these videos, by the way, so if they don't work, let me know and I'll redo them.  I'm posting them in the order I took them in.

























No comments:

Post a Comment