Sunday, February 17, 2019

Maryland - Day 14 - Lexington Park

Lookout Point State Park
Thursday, 14 February 2019

Happy Valentine's Day!

I went back to a different part of the shopping center where I'd hung out a few days ago and got back on the internet.

I posted a couple of days of the blog I hadn't been able to post in the campground.  I checked the weather for tomorrow's drive.  I plotted 2 alternate driving routes for tomorrow.

I checked to see when the Naval Air Museum would open and learned that their focus is primarily research & development of aviation devices.  www.paxmuseum.com/  The biggest draw is likely the flight simulator (for which you pay an extra charge).  The thing is that I just wasn't in the mood for a bunch of technical stuff that I was sure would require an Everest-steep learning curve for me.  And since I'm only just now getting over being rattled by that Bay Bridge experience, I didn't figure this was the best time for a flight simulator.  Even with the reduced entrance fee for seniors, I just couldn't get excited about paying $7 for this - not right now.  Maybe another time.  Especially if I knew a 12-year-old to go with me.

Instead, I caught up on current events (nothing much new, really), walked the dogs, ate lunch, and drove back to St. Mary's City where I knew we could use the historical site for walking (better than shopping centers).

Back at St. Mary's City, I learned that the Old State House was the New State House in 1676.  By the time Maryland moved its capital to Annapolis in 1695, St. Mary's City was the state's most populous town, with about 200 year-round residents. 

The historic village seems to be part of St. Mary's College of Maryland, which is a public honors college.  That's something I'd never heard of, probably because it was 35 years ago in Alaska that I was listening to my stepchildren make college choices, so I looked it up.  www.what-is-an-honors-college  The college seems to be about half the town, and I think it's part of the University of Maryland.  Extensive campus, attractive buildings.

Much better weather than when we were here the other day, but still quite cold for walking.


No comments:

Post a Comment