Sunday, November 25, 2018

Connecticut - Day 24

Mystic KOA
Saturday, 24 November 2018

It was below freezing again last night so my water hose wasn't useful, with the water inside having frozen, but this time I was prepared so things were fine.  I should have disconnected my water hose last night, though, and this morning I learned that it's hard to unscrew a brass water pressure gizmo, even from the plastic connector to the RV, when the water inside both is frozen solid.  Live and learn.  Next time I'll disconnect the night before.

I dropped the dogs off at day care/boarding, Dexter as usual going into a semi-controlled frenzy when he realized where we were when we turned in the driveway.  They promised to try to wear them out.  They also agreed to give them baths for only $15 apiece.  Can't turn down that bargain.  I think they haven't had baths since we left Austin, which was only 10 months ago so no problem.  (Amazing the smells you can get used to.)

We got back to the campground and almost immediately Lily started moving around the RV.  Seems she's no slouch in the brains department and figured out during the ride back that the dogs were really gone.  And here she is.
Lily, age 11
She hasn't been microchipped yet, and I wouldn't normally do it to someone as old as she is, but anything could happen with this odd life I'm living and she may live another 5 years or so, so she's going to get chipped as soon as I can find someone to do it.

She turns out to be really affectionate, loves loves loves to be rubbed and petted, loves to lie down beside my legs (I'm so glad she's not a dedicated lap cat because I get up too often for that).  And so far she hasn't eaten a bite of food.

Actually that doesn't bother me, partly because everything's all still new to her, but mostly because she weighs 10½ pounds and is absolutely huge around the middle.  This photo doesn't show it at all, but she is.  It can't be healthy for her and I'll do what I can to help her lose some of it.

The photo also doesn't show her bizarre tail, which is as skinny as a rat tail with not much more hair on it than that.  A total contrast to her body which is thick with fur.  I'm sure it's partly the contrast with her fat body that makes her tail look so skinny, but I'm also sure it'll still be skinny once she loses some weight.

I also changed my mind about leaving CT before the end of the month.  When I called for the reservation yesterday, the woman in NJ told me the temp there was 33° and that yesterday it had been 23°.  Those are the same temps we were having here in CT.  So during the night that fact moved into my brain and it occurred to me that I should pay attention to it.  Just because NJ is farther south than CT obviously doesn't mean it's automatically warmer.

So after we got back from dropping off the dogs, I checked the weather forecast for the Philadelphia area, because that KOA is only a few miles south of Philly.  And oddly, that area is expected to have almost the identical temps that are forecast for here in the Mystic area.  On top of that, I've already paid for the entire stay here in CT, so if I went somewhere else, I'd be double paying for those days.  Plus, the staff here at this KOA are really wonderful, and I don't know what they'd be like down there.  This is a big area where there's room to walk the dogs in some wooded areas, which they love, and on the weekdays there are likely to be far fewer people and dogs staying here than right now.  So all in all, going down early just made no sense.

I called the NJ KOA and they were fine with moving my reservation to the first of December, so I'll just figure out how to make the best of it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment