Saturday, November 17, 2018

Connecticut - Day 16

Mystic KOA
Friday, 16 November 2018

As predicted, the snow did stop and the rain did start, and some of the snow had begun to recede when I got up this morning.  The trouble is that either there was a lot more snow than they'd predicted or there was a lot less rain than they predicted.  Either way, there was still a whole lot of snow on the road, and as time went on, it didn't seem to be going away very fast.  The roadway here in the campground had a lot of slush on it, but it also had a lot of snow on it, as did my campsite which I'd have to drive over to get onto the road.

I checked the online weather report, that said it was still snowing in Hartford, which is where I wanted to go after dropping off the dogs.  And I figured if it was still snowing there, then there was likely still a lot of snow on the country roads I'd be having to take to get to the day care.

I would normally have left here about 8ish, but I waited till after 9 and the roads didn't seem to be improving significantly.  I finally called the day care and canceled.  I'm hoping to be able to take the dogs on Monday, when there's just forecast some ordinary rain.  Though even that will depend on whether the below freezing nighttime temps will have left ice on the roads.

It's one thing to drive my VW in Alaska, or even my Miata in Washington, and something entirely different to drive this RV.  I'm out of practice and the balance is totally different anyway.  I'm not risking it if I don't have to.  A shame, though, because the dogs are jumping out of their skins.

I'm lucky that the campground has been so empty - I've identified only 5 other households (RVholds?) with dogs, and the campground is so huge it's been pretty easy to find places to walk the dogs.

That said, this is the beginning of a weekend, and I'm finding that even November snow isn't keeping people from coming to camp.  Several of the cabins across from me have tenants for the night and 3 of the campsites have newly-arrived RVs in them.  Hope the number of dogs is more limited than the number of people.  They all seem to know each other and to be boisterous in their pleasure at being here, which may mean noise at bedtime.  But it'd be much much worse in the summer so I'm happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment