Friday, November 16, 2018

Connecticut - Day 15

Mystic KOA
Thursday, 15 November 2018

Again, really cold.  I checked the propane gauge and, sure enough, I'm right on empty.  This KOA sells propane, though, so I don't have far to look.

According to the owner's manual and everything everybody's told me, we're supposed to fill the tank only 3/4 full, because the propane gas needs tank room to expand or something.  When I've mentioned it to the guys who are pumping it, they always assure me their pumps have an automatic shut-off at 3/4.  But I've now found 2 different places that filled it full or nearly full, so their "automatic shut-offs" weren't working too automatically. 

When I mentioned it to the guy today, he said those tank gauges aren't completely accurate and I shouldn't worry too much.  Maybe so, but propane scares me and I'll keep right on worrying, and keeping an eye on these guys.  Because it was actually on empty, he put 8.2 gallons in it, which is by far the most I've bought so far.

I went on over to the Tractor Supply and found both thermal underwear (the basic duofold type, which is what I wanted) and a lined vest.  I can't seem to find the kind of vest I used to have in Alaska - I've been doing some online shopping lately and can't find anything quite like it.  Of course, that was back in the '70s, so all the features I liked have probably been "improved" out of them these days.  But this one I bought should at least help keep me warmer than I've been with this really cold wind blowing.

The snow didn't start until late in the afternoon.  Wish I'd known it would be that way because I could have taken the dogs to day care.  But I didn't. 

When we stepped outside for our bedtime walk, the dogs were thrilled to find snow on the ground.  They immediately started bouncing around and wrestling with each other and fairly easily pulled me over so I was coated with snow.  Better than being pulled into a puddle, though, even though both are wet.  Snow's a fun wet.  And because it was still snowing, when we all came back inside we were coated with snow and I had to do a lot of mopping and hanging up of clothes and towels and things.  But it happens in winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment