Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Rhode Island - Day 4

Oakleaf Family Campground
Thursday, 4 October 2018

In my online research, I learned that very few campgrounds in this state have sites still available for Columbus Day weekend (this weekend).  And then I started feeling nervous about sticking my dogs into a jam packed campground, which would undoubtedly be full of other dogs.  I finally decided I'd try to spend the weekend staying in parking lots in Providence.  If it gets too tough for some reason, I can probably find some place else.

I checked the weather several times, and it looks like the only problem is that it'll be pretty chilly at night, but that's easier for me to take than too hot.

I think I'll start with the enormous number of hotels near the airport, which isn't in Providence but down the road in Warwick.  It's the only airport in Rhode Island.  If you live anywhere in the state, this is where you fly in and out.  Actually, you use this airport if you live on Cape Cod, too, I learned on previous trips up here.  Probably easier to get to than Boston's Logan Airport.

Anyway, this means I'll have a power source only if I run the generator, which I hate to do.  So I'm spending today charging devices and trying to locate the various places I want to go in the Providence area and their hours and so forth.  I'll certainly need to check the computer over the weekend but want to limit my time on it to save the battery.

There's less than 12 hours a day of daylight now, so I'll likely sleep a little more.  Assuming I can find a place to stay.

This type of camping is now possible again, since I got my water pump fixed.  It makes me nervous, not having done it in a while, but I'm sure it'll be fine.  Having the dogs for protection is very comforting - I wouldn't do this without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment