Monday, October 29, 2018

Rhode Island - Day 26


Fishermen’s Memorial State Campground
Friday, 26 October 2018

I have decided to trust the weather reports that tomorrow’s storm will be a serious one and intend to stay hunkered down in one spot all day (except short dog walks).  That being the case, I had a lot of chores to get done today.

I went to the campground office at 8:30 as instructed and got checked into my new site but, for some reason, their equipment kept saying my VISA card was a gift card and it was refused.  After they tried several times on 2 different machines, they finally told me to stop back by later in the day when the manager would be available.

I went to the laundromat I’ve used before and ended up needing 2 machines because I decided it was time to switch from my summer bedsheets to my winter ones, which meant a lot of extra washing.

I called the repair place about fixing the mud flap and, after they checked out the situation, they called me back and said rather than fabricate a part what they should do is just order a new one.  Which made sense because of course Thor wasn’t going to fabricate one of those things for each individual RV it was making but would have a standard part for it.  But they guy said it’d take a week for the part to arrive and suggested I just go to a truck repair place in Connecticut to get it ordered and fixed.  He said all the dealers were in the western part of the state (making it sound like that was a long distance away) so I wouldn’t want to bother with those.

In the meantime, I was learning from calling around and checking online that there are only 2 RV camps open in Conn. during November, and both are expensive: $45/night.  The difference is that the KOA in eastern Conn. doesn’t offer a special rate for weekly stays while the private campground in western Conn. does.  The private place had told me last week he thought he was already full for the month but I should call him back when I had firm dates.

Now that I knew I had only the 2 to choose from, I called and asked him for any 2 weeks he could fit me in.  So now I have a reservation there from Nov. 1-11, with the possibility of the rest of that 2nd week if he gets a cancellation he thought he was going to get.  He told me his place has only 15 sites, which explains how he can get so filled up this time of year.  At least I have a sure place to go.  Without having a weather reading, I don’t want to commit myself to sleeping in a parking lot and wind up in freezing weather with no services.

I also stopped by the East Greenwich post office: David told me he would send my mail to me this past Tuesday or Wednesday, and I knew it might not be in yet but figured I’d try, since I was sure not going to try tomorrow with the weather forecasted.  The woman at the post office acted like I didn’t know what I was doing and bizarrely kept telling me they didn’t keep any general delivery mail longer than 15 days, and when I told her my brother had just sent it this week, she looked at me like I was speaking Russian.  Weird.  I’ll go back Monday.

All day long I was seeing very large flocks of geese flying south.  In fact, I’m seeing large flocks of them all over, feeding on lawns at schools and places.  Winter’s coming.

We got back to the campground and I stopped at the office to pay and, once again, the machines said my card was a gift card that it refused to accept.  So the nice young woman at the counter called her boss and he said mine was by no means the only one that had happened to.  He said that equipment was owned by ReserveAmerica, the private company that seems to have a stranglehold on state campgrounds all over the country.  I’ve hated them almost since I first encountered them.

So the campground manager got on the phone to them and waited a long time to find somebody who was willing to help, including waiting for a callback.  The obvious solution was for me to just go online because my card was accepted that way, but I kept pointing out they’d charge me $8.70 if I went online but nothing if I did it in the office.  Which the manager pointed out to the person on the phone and asked him to waive the fee, which the guy said he couldn’t do.  I’m telling you ReserveAmerica is not doing a public service; they’re making only money.

While I was waiting in the office I got a call from a private campground here in Rhode Island because I’d been trying to find someplace to spend the night of October 31st, besides going back to the hotel parking lot.  It wouldn’t otherwise matter much but it’s Halloween and I was very much afraid of being a sitting duck all alone in a corner of a parking lot.  But it seemed like every campground in Rhode Island was going to be closed just like the one I’m in now.  Even the ones who up until this year stayed open later were closing.  So I was very happy to get this call.

The woman said her campground’s over in Plymouth, north of Newport, which would mean driving clean across Rhode Island and Connecticut on November 1st, because my first campground’s in the western half.  And she’s charging double what I’m paying here.  But I need a place and I was glad she called and I took my CREDIT card back from the campground desk and gave it to her over the phone.

Turned out to be a lucky thing because then this campground manager could tell the ReserveAmerica person that he was sure my card was good because I’d just used it to make another reservation right in front of them.

So not getting anything sensible from ReserveAmerica, finally this campground manager told me forget all that, he just wouldn’t charge me for anything tonight, and then I could make an online reservation for tomorrow night and pay the $8.70 which would be easier to afford since I’m getting tonight free.  Nice guy.  Name’s Mike Mahoney.  But who would have thought there’d be such a hassle.  I was really ready for a drink after all that but couldn’t say so because alcoholic beverages are totally banned here.   (Technically, though I found a 6-pack of beer bottles in the dumpster this morning.  Should have been recycled, actually, but they don’t offer recycling here.)

This morning I gave Dexter a separate training walk as Courtney had showed me, and when we went back and added Gracie I found Dexter was much more controllable.  But there’s not much room to walk them around the laundromat or post office, and by the time we got back to the campground and into our new spot I was too tired to try a separate walk again.  But this meant the joint walks were as out of control as ever – it’s absolutely not all Dexter’s fault but when I have both of them tugging and pulling and running around at the same time it’s a great deal worse than when I just have Gracie doing it.  I know I won’t be able to do training tomorrow if the weather’s as predicted, but I absolutely will begin on Sunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment