Saturday, October 27, 2018

Rhode Island - Day 22 - Jerusalem


Fishermen’s Memorial State Campground
Monday, 22 October 2018
today's route
The only thing I absolutely wanted to do today was go by the pet adoption place again.  I spent quite a bit of time over the weekend thinking about the shelter’s reasons for turning me down on adopting those 2 kitties, and I decided to try writing something to explain why they should change their minds.

I haven’t fit well on application forms ever since I first dropped out of college and then hopped around changing jobs and residences for a while.  Prospective employers and schools don’t like that.  And since the adoption committee hadn’t met me and had only my application form for information, I figured if they were going to turn me down, they should know a little more about my situation.

So I wrote this thing (by hand, having no printer) I eventually cut down to 2 pages (so they’d read it) explaining I wasn’t some flake and I had a good living situation for kitties, especially compared to the concrete room they’d been living in for 3 years.  I took it by this morning and the director said she thought it would help and promised to show them this week.  Hope on, hope ever.

After that, I aimed for some roads I hadn’t been on yet, with the goal of Succotash Road which leads to Jerusalem (I promise).

I suddenly found myself at the Rhode Island Veterans Cemetery, which looked really large and well cared for, so I turned in.  It’s huge, and there were 2 separate funeral processions in different parts of the cemetery at the same time.

It has specific memorials for all kinds of groups I never would have considered: a Cape Verdean Veterans monument (I confess I had to look it up: these are islands off the west coast of central Africa!); an Armenian-American Veterans memorial; a Greek-American Veterans monument; and of course, monuments to veterans from WWI, WWII, the Korean Conflict and the Vietnam Era (these were their designations, not mine).


back of WWII monument
There was a separate memorial to WWII veterans that was absolutely enormous.  My photos here are from what seemed like the back side – the front was very grand with huge lawn and flags and sidewalks and benches and steps – the back was more my style, and very moving to me.

Back down on Route 1 I took the turn south onto Succotash Road that I’d seen as I drove down that road before.  Momma used to make succotash when we were kids, although I’ve learned later her version is only one version, not the version.  The name succotash, by the way, comes from a word used by the RI Narragansett Indians.  So there. 

path to beach
We stopped at East Matanuck State Beach and, though I knew the dogs were allowed on the beach, I was afraid to chance it because I knew for certain there was already at least one dog already there.  Instead, we walked all around the huge parking area (that place must get packed in the summer) where they found puh-lenty to sniff.  They’re not used to having sea-related anythings to smell so it’s all fascinating to them and they wanted to spend a lot of time standing and sniffing.  That would have been a lot more fine to me except that the wind from last night was still gusting quite a bit and, at the beach where sand can get flung around, that’s no joke to someone who wears contact lenses.  So anyway, they sniffed and I watched the birds.  Lots of birds.  I know there were swallows and sparrows and warblers, but I just didn’t have the ability to take good enough looks to identify them more than that.  It was nice, though.

After a while of that, we drove down to where the road ends at Jerusalem, across the water from Galilee.  Although I apparently neglected to get photos of Jerusalem from the Galilee side, I did get photos of Galilee from the Jerusalem side. Tiny little place that looked very pleasant.

Pleasant day.

No comments:

Post a Comment