Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Rhode Island - Day 18 - Galilee


Fishermen’s Memorial State Campground
Thursday, 18 October 2018
today's route
We woke up to a vicious wind, making it unpleasant for me, at least, to do much dog-walking.  Probably wasn’t as much of a problem for them.

My main goal today was right down the street from the campground: Galilee.  The road that runs immediately beside my part of the campground is called the Galilee Escape Road, and I have no idea why it should have such an ominous name.  It’s one of only 2 roads to Galilee, but what a name!

Anyway, it seems to be the primary route to Galilee, which is a tiny fishing village (sounds Biblical, right?) right on Point Judith Pond (the one that’s not a pond but an inlet from Block Island Sound) and right across it from Jerusalem, another really tiny fishing village.  I’m certain I took photos of Jerusalem across the inlet but now I can’t find them anywhere, so I must be beginning to imagine things.  I really thought I also took photos of the Galilee harbor but apparently not.

I was there to meet my cousins Trish and Marian at George’s Restaurant, but that plan ran into a hitch.  Trish and I made the plans via email, and I should have kept in mind that I’m not completely wrong to mistrust electronic media, unlike the rest of the world, because this was one time it failed.  Trish told me later she never got the email – and, unlike the photos, this one I have proof of.

So the result was that after I sat there for a half hour, getting more and more hungry, I called and learned that she had no idea I’d ever answered her.  But she’d quick get ready and go over to pick up Marian and they’d be with me as soon as possible – she thought maybe in a half hour.

It was an hour later that they finally got there, during which time I’d decided a glass of wine was reasonable to keep company with Sense and Sensibility, so I’d stopped fretting about sitting there so long with no food, as I might otherwise have done.

It was nice to see them again, we had some good food and a good visit, and Trish and I made plans to get together online somehow for that genealogy info she wants to give me.

The dogs deserved a good walk after being kept waiting so long, so we walked all around town (mainly because I got lost and it took a while to get found) and, luckily, didn’t see any other dogs.  I’ve noticed several times in the various campgrounds that people rarely walk their dogs during the early and mid afternoons.  A good time for us to go out.

Right by the restaurant is a beach that said no dogs, so we just walked around the parking area.  The dogs found plenty of nautical stuff to sniff.
beach at Galilee
We drove down to the shops near Rt. 1 to find a liquor store – in Rhode Island, all alcoholic beverages are sold in liquor stores.  I found a tiny one there that, despite its size, had a decent selection of wines.  Then I tried to get out of the equally tiny parking lot and found myself sque-e-ezing through this even tiny-er gap between other vehicles, and I’m really impressed that I managed to make it through all by myself.

Back in the campground, I pulled out the bags with my winter clothes from the underneath storage area, and unpacked them, and packed my summer clothes.  This weekend I’ll be back in the hotel parking lot with no plug-ins and I want to be sure I’ll stay warm.  The temperatures are getting much colder even in the daytime, and the wind isn’t helping raise the temp.

No comments:

Post a Comment