Friday, October 19, 2018

Rhode Island - Day 13 - Narragansett

Crowne Plaza Hotel parking lot
Saturday, 13 October 2018
today's route
I had an appointment to try both the dogs at the Gnarly Dog this morning and got there at 9:15.  They said they'd try them out for an hour, so I sat in their little parking area to wait for a verdict.  After a very nervous hour, I went back and they said they'd let them stay, that Gracie had done just fine, of course, and Dexter seemed to be doing okay, with just a couple of minor growlings that they stopped by telling him things were okay.

So with a light heart and feelings of gratitude, I left for a few hours on my own.  I decided to treat myself to lunch at the Coast Guard House, since I never feel like I can eat in restaurants (I don't like leaving the dogs alone in the RV while they can smell food and see lots of people pass by - it's not like a museum parking lot).

Momma had a photo - I may still have it - of a dinner we had there with us and David and Anna, Momma's Aunt Alice, and her cousins George, with his wife Martha, and Marian, with her husband Bob.  At the time, everybody could hear fairly well and we were all still young enough to be able to enjoy ourselves.  What a nice dinner it was, and that's been my memory of the Coast Guard House.

surfers at Narragansett Beach
Well, my lunch was in the daytime, but it was still really nice.  This restaurant is famous for its view (though the food's pretty good, too) because it's got glass all around and from everywhere in the restaurant you've got a sterling view of the ocean and the beach and all the people and boats.  I was the first customer so got my pick of tables by the window, and enjoyed watching the diving ducks and surfers (humans).

Today was overcast with a very strong wind, which apparently was great for the surfers because there were a lot of them.  My photo shows only a fraction of them.  All wearing wetsuits, of course, though that wouldn't have been enough for me, as cold as the water must have been.

After my leisurely lunch (clam chowder and steamed mussels), I stopped to get more information about those oddball but imposing stone towers.

The history goes a ways back, so I just took photos of the sign the town put up to explain them.



I think this is the best I'm going to get out of this program.  I'm sure the fault is my own for not being willing to spend time experimenting.  But for right now, maybe you can see the sign.  Pretty interesting history.

Narragansett also has some nice public art.

near the towers

by the beach













After lunch, I drove out to the Point Judith Fishermen's Memorial.  Very moving.
You can see it was right by the beach.  Those are rose bushes behind the stones.

My time off was up and I drove back to pick up the dogs.  They told me Dexter had done just fine and I should bring him back Monday and see if he continued to do okay - a very happy report for me!

Then we drove back up to this parking lot, that's becoming very familiar to us.  It was at least half full tonight because of some do that the guest organization was having, but they were quiet in their revelries, as far as we were concerned, and it's a very large parking lot.





No comments:

Post a Comment